Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally got around to doing the rear lights on the X... Basically the exact same thing that OregonX did to his about a year or so ago. I even think I bought the little clamps from him (long time ago).

Here is a link to how he did it (its what I used to help my install)
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1449&highlight=

I did use different lights, and stuff laying around my garage, so they arent perfect but they will do for now.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used VHT night shades. I did a how-to... is it not in there? if its not it might have gotten erased when the site went down.

Im currenly darkening my factory lights with the same stuff becase these are just too damn dark. Ill post pics when im done.

I took the rack off. I dont really need it anymore. As most of you know I just ordered a shrock rear bumper with tire carrier, so that is going to carry my spare tire and Hi-lift jack. When I get the bumper I will decide if i want to sell the rack or not.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Looks cool. Now what id like to do is mount the brightest light i can find on the rear of my truck for those times you pass someone and the a-hole turns their brights on. I have more people do this to me because my truck sits at a level wher emy lights are right in their rear view mirror. So after i pass them they bright me. I want to be able to give it to em right back!

·
on line
962 Posts
mcampana said:
Looks cool. Now what id like to do is mount the brightest light i can find on the rear of my truck for those times you pass someone and the a-hole turns their brights on. I have more people do this to me because my truck sits at a level wher emy lights are right in their rear view mirror. So after i pass them they bright me. I want to be able to give it to em right back!
LMAO! that's a great idea!

Whenever people throw on their brights coming at me because of my bright fog lights, I throw on all 10 lights at the same time to give them something to complain about! :cherry:

·
on line
73 Posts
Mcampana,

That is an idea I am thinking about doing soon.

My dad has always had 1 ton 4wd duallies that sit, so he'd mount the brightest lights he could find in the bumper for just those occasions. I am thinking some lights mounted to the underside of the back bar in a way that I can still use my racks.

Let me know what lights you would use. I can always say they're cargo lights!

·
Read Only
656 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Well i finally got around to doing the rear lights on the X... I did use different lights, and stuff laying around my garage, so they arent perfect but they will do for now.

Looks good! Are these lights from Pep Boys? I did this a few months ago but returned the lights because they weren't bright enough for me. Can't remember if they were fogs or driving lights, but whatever they were, my reverse lights lit up behind me better. Going to buy the Hellas soon and finish up. Noticed that you ran wires to left side. Hots and grounds both? Did you ground to the hatch lift brackets? Did you run the hot thru the tail light like OregonX or another route? Looks good, can't wait to get mine on. The rear bar is drilled and wired, grommets in place. New switch ("Rear Lights") to left of steering wheel and Clutch Start switch relocated to bank of switches w/ 4 Wheel Drive knob. Leaves me one blank open next to steering wheel (future driving lights). This way my light switches will be together and switches for driving (4 Wheel, VDC off, Clutch Start) together. This layout makes more sense to me. Here is my Rear Light switch: http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch40.html Got it in yellow, but not the best choice (thought it would be close to amber, black or white would have been better).

·
on line
631 Posts
mcampana said:

Im setting my reverse lights on a switch, just so i can do this when someone gets a little to close to me on the roads.... or when i need light behind me as i am driving foward...

·
TNX Administrator
20,444 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I used VHT night shades. I did a how-to... is it not in there? if its not it might have gotten erased when the site went down.
I think it went that route also, because the only thing I could find was when you ordered the spray tint and was originally talking about this subject. So, when you post the "How-to" on the front lights, you might include the rear lights with it, if you still have that info.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay the lights are from autozone not pep boys and they are definitely not bright enough... Im going to swap them out with some nicer ones and put these on the undreside of my truck towards the rear when i finish up my rock crawling lights (the front is done and I posted it somewhere).

As for how I ran them... yes both the ground and hot wire are to the left of the truck. The ground wire is done exaclty like oregonX's (attached to the hatch lift bracket), but the hot wire i just ran on the drivers side instead of the pasengers (but its done basically the same). I suggest doing it just like oregon did his because running the power wire all the way to the front was a biotch. the gas tank was totally in the way. It would be much easier on the other side.

·
on line
91 Posts
shutterman0991 said:
Whenever people throw on their brights coming at me because of my bright fog lights, I throw on all 10 lights at the same time to give them something to complain about!
Just do not make that mistake lighting some one up when your Favorite State trooper is around. I got 1 nasty warning and no leaving until all 4 KC's had there covers on. He said it could be a $265 fine. He was also over 1/2 mile away and still saw them VERY WELL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts