Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to use the "back of the X" to moving some stuff. I started by folding down the rear seats, and adding a piece of 32 .25 x 46.25 x 0.75 inch plywood, with some padding at the corners:

This plywood is to protect the driver from stuff sliding forward from the cargo area. It sits on the backseat headrests, and it can't move forward due to the rear seatcushions and the curvature of the roof. From the plywood to just inside the rear liftgate is 5 feet.

I had tried to do some planning to maximize what I could fit into the X. A couple of my measurements were slightly off, but this photo shows what was planned:

All but two of the boxes made it into the back of the X. That's a 4-foot level on top of the pile. Once you are above the wheel wells, you can put in wider stuff, but it narrows again near the roof.

Here is the result:

Some of this type of stuff could come into contact with the windows in the rear doors or liftgate, so it may be a good idea to add padding and/or restraints.

The stuff I was carrying had some weight to it, and the result was that the rear end of the X was riding on the bumpstops. When fully loaded, the distance from the ground, through the center of the rear axle, to the lower edge of the fender well was 32 1/8 inches. When unloaded, that measurement is 34 7/8 inches. The 2.75 inch difference seems to correspond with the distance between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the bumpstops when the X is unloaded.

Warning: The above was performed by a licensed Nissan Xterra owner. Do not try this at home (or anywhere else!) using vehicles such as the Toyota FJ Cruiser or GMC Hummer that do not have fold-flat rear seats. Failure to follow this warning may result in property damage and/or personal injury. Side effects may include depression (due to the realization that you should have bought an Xterra).

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Wow thats a lot of office supplies!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wait a second. Did you measure the inside of the X and then put tape on the floor measured to those specs?!?!?!

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
muzikman said:
Wait a second. Did you measure the inside of the X and then put tape on the floor measured to those specs?!?!?!
Yes. That was part of the planning :)
I didn't want to actually test-fit things into my X, because the boxes were already full of stuff, and some were very heavy(needing two people to move them).
For my next trip I have the advantage of having empty boxes, so I've done a test fit of them, and I know exactly what boxes will fit.

·
on line
62 Posts
That is the geekiest thing I have ever seen.

And I could say that without it being a flame because it is definitely something I would do! :bounce: :)

·
on line
189 Posts
Thats just fab-u-los.... I also think your warning is very worthy of a :eek:ccasion5: ...

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I just got back home and we had the back of my X packed full of presents, baby gear etc. None of it was to heavy but my family was amazed that i was able to take all of it back.

No taped outline for me.

·
on line
4 Posts
measurements

That's freaking awesome. I'm planning a NY to CA trip in couple months with all my stuff. Any way you can post the measurements so i can duplicate your taping? That would help me soo much on maximizing my spaces.

Thanks!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I just bought a leather couch at costco, I didn't think it would fit, but it did. I slid it in the back and about 80% fit. I just put a strap from one side to the other to hold it in (using the half ring hooks on each side of the lift hatch) and then used another strap from the lift gate handle down to my trailer hitch. Fit so nice, the foor was so close to being closed that you wouldn't have noticed unless you looked. Awesome, when the loveseat arrives, I think it will fit all the way in.
WOW

·
on line
20 Posts
Heh, I had some neighbors that needed some snow removal after our last 2 foot snowstorm, and it was to far to "drive" it down. Ended up getting a 7.5 horse 2 stage Ariens in the back without removing the top handle portion! I wish I had a pic....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts