Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, when I measured the pinion angle of a stock 2006 Xterra "Offroad" edition, it was 6 degrees (pointed slightly upward toward front of vehicle of course). With my Daystar lift and to eliminate vibrations, I installed 4 degree shims. Combining the angle change caused by the shackles and the shims, I'm sitting at 13.5 degrees.

How concerned should I be about starving the ring/pinion from proper lubrication? I've seen some articles that mention the need to "overfill" in order to make sure that these parts are getting properly lubricated.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it necessary? What is the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance...

Terry

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Best way is to look up how much fluid the diff takes and fill it with that much.

Now, the trick is since the fill hole is lower than it should be because the pinion is tipped up. Park on a hill facing down. This will let the fluid flow to the front so you can fill it.

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the article I had read about "overfilling". It comes from Tom Woods website article "Driveline 101".

"One word of caution though , make sure the pinion tail bearing still receives adequate oil . An over-fill may be required, overfilling the differential may cause a problem with foaming of the differential fluid. Adding about a cup of a Dextron type II automatic transmission fluid to your gear oil will lower the surface tension of the oil and should help control the foaming."

Any of you fluid experts know if we can safely add Dextron type II atf to an axle that holds a electric locking differential? (i.e. Offroad pkg Xterra)?

Thank you...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have never heard of putting ATF in a diff...that's a new one for me.

I have been running 3º shims since last July and changed my gear oil twice since then (to fix peeled back diff cover) and I used my method both times and have not had a problem.

EDIT: oh...and I have seen over filled diffs. I have not seen them foam, but in a lot of cases it will blow gear oil out of the breather.

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured if I can raise the back end of the X in the air so as to get the pinion angle back to the factory level and then fill with the specified fluid amount, I'd be in business.

I called Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts and the guy I spoke with said that the gear oil would likely get flung up through various channels in a manner that would sufficiently lubricate the pinion tail bearing.

·
on line
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzikman,

would you happen to have any idea what angles you're running on your pinion and driveshaft?

In my case my driveshaft is about 8.5 degrees and the pinion angle is 13.5. This allows me to reduce the angle difference between the driveshaft and differential output to only 3.5 degrees. It is my understanding that with the driveshaft in the Offroad X's (single u-joint at the front of the driveshaft and sealed CV joint at the diff end), one needs to reduce the angle at the transfer case as much as possible (between 3-7 degrees max depending on who ya talk to).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, I have no idea.

I have been running my current setup since July and have no vibrations and everything is in one piece, so I never bothered to figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts