Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to reach the 30K miles line. So I'm getting ready for the MT, T/C and diffs oil change. Already ordered the oil from Amsoil.

Went today to the dealer to order the plugs' gaskets, but the sales rep didn't know much about it. In the begining she insisted that what I needed was a crush washer. After explainig her like 20 times what I needed, she told me that all the gaskets were the same, so are the fill and drain plug gaskets for the MT, T/C and front diff really the same?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yes, they are all the same. Really they are just an aluminum washer. It took the parts guy a few minutes to realize what I was talking about then I ordered them. With my local club discount they came to around $2 each.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
They are different. I can post pictures if needed. The diffs and Auto are same as in a flat aluminum looking washer. The T case and Oil plug are same crush washer. If the flat ones are ok looking you can re use them, just turn em over. Use a dap of silicone on the threads. I'd suggest new crush washers. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
MC.

Wait, what is different?

My front Diff and TC are the same. My Rear Diff does not have washers and I don't have an MT, so I am not sure about that, but the dealer said that was the same as the front diff and TC. The only thing that I know of that has an actual crush washer is the oil.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
For most applications teflon tape is not a good idea, especially on the engine oil. It will leave little particles behind and in places like engine oil it can clog the filter causing it to go into bypass.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I ordered 7 of the flat ones (just to have a spare one) and I'll buy some crush washers when I pick my order, just in case. If I don't use them, I'll save them for future engine oil changes.

I was wandering why the dealer doesn't keep them on stock. I guess they don't replace them when they charge you top $$$ to change those oils...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Mine didn't have them in stock (the aluminum washers, not the crush washers). My guess, they don't change them. Heck, the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I only use the teflon tape on the rear diff drain and fill plugs - and only on the outer threads (I don't cover the entire length of the threads with tape). Wouldn't silicone leave a residue that could also drop into the diff fill hole?

As for the washers - even at $2 they are making a ridiculous amount of money. If their cost is $0.20 each, which is high, they are charging 1,000% of cost. Said another way, they are making a 900% profit.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
Mine didn't have them in stock (the aluminum washers, not the crush washers). My guess, they don't change them. Heck, the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about.
I just hit a dealer today and they didn't have them in stock. So I have to agree that they probably just reuse them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts