Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In the last photo, the bottom bolt holds in the air.
I can't close the doors here without removing my (useful) plastic piece mounted to the other side, mini plastic dirt reflectors, stock.

This is the only way to fit to follow the door contour, and velcro touching the door at the bottom of the doors.

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT, 2013 P4X 6MT
214 Posts
I'd cut the part off the door. Get a couple sheets of fibreglass and drape it over the open portions. Sand, fill, sand, paint. Can you use 3M tape to attach the "door extension" part to the body? Its a small part and i think 3M would hold.

Also, did you order from the Xtrek site? I wasn't sure if it was still running.

The flares look great (apart from the gas cap area, seems unfinished?) I've got a 30mm offset plus 11" wide MT, I'm definitely interested. Thanks for the terrific SBS roXterra (y)

Or just cut it off:
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
The 1” gap is a result of following the tires contour without paying attention to mounting. Flawed product, hours to fix it, you have to cut it off and shape it right.
What reason can there be for having a huge hole?

Both sides same issue.
Will interfere with tires at some point.
As well as collect mud inside both flares. Enter from the middle, bottoms are sealed.

seller answer:
That is how they are designed.
Clearly not a seller who cares.

Graduating to: nobody complained about it before.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
So proper fitting is not a desired feature.
Especially since buyer can just cut it if it rubs. (It is in install directions after all) Which it wouldn’t do if you didn’t make the well narrower by introducing a mud catching hole which has nowhere to escape.

But it’s easier to say “it’s designed that way” than to actually address customer issues….or common sense

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The 1” gap can be covered by Dynomat sheets that’s my plan, the only non fiberglass molding plan I have. It’s wider than 1” 3M red tape.

Door overhang cut off, finished somehow with finesse cutting to make a new end at door bottom.

still this WTF remains
Tape on the bottom but this will still have a gap even with the rubber molding included (which is too hard to use or wrong size, my early link 1/16 molding works fine.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror

But the molding.
Good catch. Not enough width
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
@Gingie
I called him and texted after. He doesn’t know how many flares he sold before. (No guess either). No answer if he still has an Xterra.

if you want a project, this is it.

I am going to make aluminum half circles, thin like 1/8” and tape them to doors with 3m tape. Then weld on “elevated nuts”…ok start over (no aluminum nuts out there)

16 gauge stainless half circles under the back flares. Welded on elevated nuts. Same bolts from front, cut to length, screwed into the stainless steel half circle. No drilling other than into plastic in back half of back flares. Bolts will have some extra threads behind them. Stacked nuts welded maybe. Locking washer….more washer sandwich.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
By using a string and a marker instead of a compass (huge compass), math algorithm from internet, I calculated the radius to be 21.89” and it’s close.
From an arc, part of a circle, you can figure out the circle radius (if it is a circle), then make a technical drawing (dxf file) to use for a laser cut.
It won’t be perfect but with drawing adjustment it will work. It just needs to stay hidden behind plastic.
Wood Font Art Twig Slope

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I learned more about fibreglass from your thread that I wanted to... what's the take away here? That charging $700 is not enough for a quality product? He wanted flares for himself and built a single prototype and never refined it?

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Less than $100 and no drill through the side of you fender. Covers the Tswap perfect and theyre flexible so no worries if you clip something…
These look great and definitely more my budget but the few times I've seen these posted the material and other details are always left out. Are they DIY? Trimmed Husky mud grabbers?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Getting back to what should have been easy but turned into a project.
Door overhangs are getting cut off and open end closed off. Then all will be ready for painting and taping steel half circles onto doors.

seen today:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

This is how Jeep does it, right angle and flat on body, bolts through.
steel probably, steel or aluminum is how I would do it….steel for strength or aluminum to absorb the hit instead of car sheet metal.

Not that I want do it, but would anyone buy this style? Would it fit Xterra looks?

It’s functional but would it look good?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I like the pocket style more on Xterra, I have seen it on many pickup trucks,
but this Jeep style could go wider and to 5” not just 3” and not look much worse.

I am committed to the pocket style now but the back flexing still has to be examined after mounting, so it’s not as done as I would like it to be.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts