Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of people on here give praise to the Femco drain plugs so I went and ordered one. It arrived today and I tested it out before installing it. It doesn't close when unscrewing the hose - it looks like the valve is crooked or bent and needs a push to get it to snap shut. Obviously this would be impossible once it was installed. I've sent No Spill Systems an email asking them about the problem (and for an exchange) but I suggest if anyone else buys one of these to try it out before installing it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Vorian had a terrible time trying to thread the hose on to the valve last oil change. It took both of us just to screw the damn thing on.

I'll take my fumoto drain over that contraption any day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hmmm that fumoto looks nice. It was a pain to get the femco started when I changed my oil last time but it is 1000 times better then trying to do it the old way. Especially with the skids on.

My femco doesn't look like that. It must be defective.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Another vote for fumoto here! It's a small outlet, so draining takes a while, but the ease of use and lack of mess more than make up for that.

Between fumoto and using the ziploc method on the filter, I've not spilled a single drop of oil in my last 5 or 6 changes. :headbang:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Another vote for fumoto here! It's a small outlet, so draining takes a while, but the ease of use and lack of mess more than make up for that.

Between fumoto and using the ziploc method on the filter, I've not spilled a single drop of oil in my last 5 or 6 changes. :headbang:
For the life of me, I cannot get the baggie thing to work on the filter. I may just be slow, but I cuss the filter placement every time I have to change the oil! :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you take it apart to get it like that? i've installed two. no problems, and works like a charm.
I've done nothing to it except screw the drain hose in a few times. The valve sticks open every time.

On the plus side No Spill called me this morning and are sending me out a new plug, and are sending me a shipping label for the old one so they can find out what is wrong with it. Sent them an email at 10PM, get a phone call back at 9AM.

+1 for fast customer service.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
For the life of me, I cannot get the baggie thing to work on the filter. I may just be slow, but I cuss the filter placement every time I have to change the oil! :)
Use a BIG baggie - I had trouble with it until I started using the gallon ziploc!

·
Registered
320 Posts
i've had it w/ the femco. i ripped one off my wife's car today. turned what should be a simple task into a total messy pita. you can't get that hose to thread on properly, and while you're trying to screw it on it's already letting the oil out.

-SM-

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Vorian had a terrible time trying to thread the hose on to the valve last oil change. It took both of us just to screw the damn thing on.

I'll take my fumoto drain over that contraption any day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
i've had it w/ the femco. i ripped one off my wife's car today. turned what should be a simple task into a total messy pita. you can't get that hose to thread on properly, and while you're trying to screw it on it's already letting the oil out.

-SM-
Sounds like operator error to me. I've used them fine for years. Much like any other threaded object, people just rush and go in at an angle and cross thread. Take a deep breath. Slow down. And it works perfect.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
yes, we're all collectively delusional and incompetent. you're the only one who really understands what is going on.
I agree the op had a defective valve, as clearly evident in the photo. As for 2 people having trouble threading on drain tubes, incompetence is not a long stretch. You'd be amazed how many people cross thread lug nuts, drain plugs and every other bolt on or threaded component. I've seen and and dealt with repairing it thousands of times. People are incompetent. Find me a hundred person sample and give them all something to thread together, and I'd place money on at least a few cross threading it or having difficulty getting it aligned to thread together. Yes, I think some people are incompetent, and it's possible that in the sample of all the members on this forum, there may be a small handful here who may be.

·
Registered
320 Posts
you can assume as much as you want to fit your preconceived belief.

it's a bad design. i still have it on my xterra because it's low profile and there is plenty of access, but i'm considering switching to the fumato. on other cars there isn't enough access to get the thing seated properly w/o it causing a mess and a headache. many could find this information useful before spending $70 on a convenience when there are better, cheaper options out there.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Never had one issue threading on the Femco. I do use two hands, one holding the hose in place at the plug and the other to slowly start threading it on. Goes on just fine every time. To say you can't thread it on and blame the design is unfair. If you want something cheaper and "easier" then that's your call.

I tried to tell one of my buddies to get one for his Chevy and he went with Fumoto instead, probably due to the cheaper price. That ended up being a 4 hour oil change.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i love the fumoto but there's one issue.

it hangs below the shrock skidplate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts