Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just got an 07 Off Road auto with 119k miles in really good condition and a full service history. My other car is a MINI Cooper S, so trucks/SUVs are a new thing to me. I've got a ton of questions, but I'll keep it focused, ha.

I noticed the other day when I'm in 4HI, if I turn the wheels to near full lock (like I'm doing a U turn) the truck stop moving at idle speeds and I have to give it gas to keep going. Is this normal? It almost feels like the front end is binding. I don't have the problem in 2WD. Thanks!

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
sounds like you're doing this on pavement?

don't.

you'll break stuff. LOL

to directly answer you're question....if it *is* on pavement, yes, that's normal.
but....you'll break something driving/steering in 4HI (and 4LO) on pavement. Only engage 4WD when on dirt, gravel, snow, etc.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Are you doing this on pavement? If so, yes, it is binding and no, you shouldn't be in 4wd in those conditions. The outside front wheel has to turn faster than the rear wheels and that's going to cause binding when the tire can't slip.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I came to the same realization when i first had my X, first 4x4 for me. it snowed one morning so i had it in 4hi on the way to work, after work i started divining home still in 4hi and noticed the binding( snow had melted). so yeah its normal, that means its actually working correctly.

lesson learned, only use 4x4 when there is weak or little traction otherwise there is too much grip.

alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed.

hope that helps!

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.
This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.
Isn't that what I said?

J/K, you did a better job of explaining it than I would have.

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
Good article Surf! and this passage caught my eye...
When starting from a standstill*with sharply turned wheels: The need for higher rpm in the front will most likely prevent you from getting started at all. If you step on the gas really hard (plus slipping your clutch) you might get the vehicle moving with spinning rear wheels but stress on all driveline components will be dangerously high. Chance is that you will break something.
I'm now wondering if this is how I snapped my front axle shaft earlier this year. I can't remember for sure, but I wouldn't doubt that I was temporarily stopped on a hill climb with a very nasty rut directly underneath me. I know to get up, I'd cut the wheel in one direction to avoid going into it. I could have stopped mid-way, with wheels turned all the way. Then, when I went to give it gas to move...*POP*.

Hmmmm......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the responses! Yes, it was on pavement, ha. It's my first 4x4, so I had no idea what is and isn't expected behavior. Thanks for all the information, it was very helpful and good to know the 4wd actually works, ha! I'll wait until it snows up here in the northeast before using the 4wd again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks all for the responses! Yes, it was on pavement, ha. It's my first 4x4, so I had no idea what is and isn't expected behavior. Thanks for all the information, it was very helpful and good to know the 4wd actually works, ha! I'll wait until it snows up here in the northeast before using the 4wd again.
By all means use 4wd! its what( at least partly ) you bought it for, just get off pavement first!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By all means use 4wd! its what( at least partly ) you bought it for, just get off pavement first!
That's true! There's some fire trails near me I've been meaning to check out and a dirt road up to a radio tower on the top of a mountain. Both perfect candidates for my complete lack of off roading experience, ha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts