Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I thought i'd pick a few brains here! So up at highway speed, If I switch from a fairly hard right turn into a fairly hard left turn, and hold it for just a second, It wont work if i'm jerking it back and forth, the motion has to be sustained, (or vise versa), I have a serious 'CLUNK" that I can hear and feel throughout the whole vehicle.
It feels like as if the rear axle is moving an inch back and forth, that's the best description of what someone who knew absolutely nothing about cars would say.

That being said, I know these things can be tricky to diagnose especially when the only way to have it show up is to be swerving around on the highway (I dont have any buddies who want to hang out under there when i'm doing this)
and it could be:

Ball joints front: checked and they're tight
wheels/spacers loose: checked, tight
tie rod ends maybe?
axles in the back loose? is that even possible?

If anyone has any suggestions on what to check next it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sway bar bushing is another item to check...rear is easy to see...front is above the front skid attached to a cross member, should be visible from the sides of the skid plate.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
U-bolts are supposed to be at 57lbs iirc, but they are 1-time use so you may strip them by trying to tighten more or you may not. Either way be prepared and use a torque wrench set at like 45 lbs first and gradually move your way up. If they budge at 45, that's probably your problem.

If all bolts are tight and torqued down to spec I hate to say it but it sounds like you may have broke a couple teeth off the rear spider gears... Ask me how I know:/ Both Truffle's and MadMike was with me trouble shooting my problem and what you described is exactly what it felt like, however it wasn't just on high speed turns, it was also if I pulled a sharp u turn with some acceleration.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nyx you may have nailed it actually. that would make sense. I was thinking diff issues. it has that "diff clunk" to it.. i'll check the u turn with acceleration and it sounds like that. if it is though, sounds like i'll get another 100,000 kms out of it before it needs replacing. Ohhhhhh nissan!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts