Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been noticing heat from the engine going into the cabin right under the dash. From all the cars I've owned, I've never felt this much heat coming from the dash.

All heater settings are turned to cold side if you're wondering.

Is this a normal thing for the X.. more engine heat escaping into the cabin than other cars?

And for you troubleshooting gurus.. I did have a radiator crack recently at 15K miles if that has anything to do with the excessive heat going into the cabin?

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I am going to guess you have some air bubbles in the cooling system thats causing the extra heat being felt. The procedure should be done with engine cold and a helper. I would start by opening reservour and looking down inside while helper squeezes upper and bottom radiator hoses... your looking for bubbles to determine if you had air bubbles.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a new radiator 3 days ago by the dealer and it "should be" properly air bled.

It might just be in my head but it doesn't happen all the time.. it's just random.

Also on cooler nights, I can actually see the heat escape through the hood and onto the windshield causing me to fog up while driving... again.. maybe that's normal for the X?

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
On a long road trip the trans tunnel gets quite warm. You can feel it if you lean your leg on it. Also the cup holders get quite warm too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also on cooler nights, I can actually see the heat escape through the hood and onto the windshield causing me to fog up while driving... again.. maybe that's normal for the X?

Do you still have the rear seal for your hood on there? I don't think you should have any air passing through there unless that seal had been lost or is damaged.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The center dash area with the audio system always stays hot because the heater
core always has coolant circulating through it regardless of what the blend doors
are doing. I have an instant read thermometer in the slot above the audio and it
reads high temperatures all the time while driving. There is no valve to shut off
the heater pipes when not in use.

In high humidity cold air situations like on the NorCal coast where condensation
at night makes the morning all dewy wet the heater box will collect water and
when the truck is started and warmed up there will be a fog on the outside
glass from the steaming coming up through the outside grill vents. When first
seen it looks like the heater core has sprung a leak. When it all dries out and
you are in a lower humidity area the issue goes away.

Both situations are normal and just one of those Xterra things.
Thank you sir for the specific info! Rear seal is there and everything checks out. And you are right, it does go away after some point of driving.

Maybe I am just paranoid. Thanks everyone for your replies :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts