Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Who's front wheel hub do you like most? Timken? MOOG? Raybestos? SKF? Duralast? (Please say no to Duralast..) Any others?

At 72K miles I discovered the right front wheel on my '06 Xterra OR was as close to falling off as I'd ever want. When I inspected it (after hearing a suspicious noise that grew over a couple of months), I found it had ~1" of slop in it as measured by grabbing the tire and at 12 and 6 o'clock and rocking it.

All I could find on that Sunday afternoon to replace it with was a Duralast part from AutoZone. Now, 5 months and less than 10K miles later I checked that wheel again. There's already a little play in it. Not too much, but enough to feel and see. The left front still has the original factory hub and I can not feel ANY perceptible play in that one. I called AutoZone and they have no problem with replacing/refunding me for the Duralast.

But I don't want to have to yank and replace the hub ever again, if I can help it. I'm not going to put another Duralast on there. Who's components do you guys like/think are the best made?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ancient Thread resurrection here, but better than starting a new one.

I Replaced both my front wheel bearing assemblies last year, at separate times. Right side was done in March '16, and left side was July '16. I discovered last week that the left one is already failing after roughly 6 months. It went from zero symptoms to visible play within about a month. SO going bad really really fast.

I used Detroit Axle brand hubs for both sides, which thankfully have a 1 year warranty. So while I will get a new one at no charge (already started the warranty with them), Im concerned that its just going to happen again. I'm basically expecting the right side (older one) to start failing any day now too. So Im tempted to not even install the warranty replacement and move to another brand. Or maybe this is a faulty unit since it was so sudden.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with Detroit Axle hubs? Is D.A. considered junk? I've seen Timken and Moog recommended several times. Are those still considered best choice?

Thanks in advance!

·
TNX Veteran
4,167 Posts
....I've seen Timken and Moog recommended several times. Are those still considered best choice?

Thanks in advance!
Go with Timken. That's what the X comes with from the factory, and they usually last at least 60,000 miles or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd say that right there ^ is about as good a recommendation as you're likely to get.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Ancient Thread resurrection here, but better than starting a new one.

I Replaced both my front wheel bearing assemblies last year, at separate times. Right side was done in March '16, and left side was July '16. I discovered last week that the left one is already failing after roughly 6 months. It went from zero symptoms to visible play within about a month. SO going bad really really fast.

I used Detroit Axle brand hubs for both sides, which thankfully have a 1 year warranty. So while I will get a new one at no charge (already started the warranty with them), Im concerned that its just going to happen again. I'm basically expecting the right side (older one) to start failing any day now too. So Im tempted to not even install the warranty replacement and move to another brand. Or maybe this is a faulty unit since it was so sudden.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with Detroit Axle hubs? Is D.A. considered junk? I've seen Timken and Moog recommended several times. Are those still considered best choice?

Thanks in advance!
The ABS sensor in my Detroit axle hub is not functioning at the moment. They are refunding me $16 of my purchase price for me to buy a different ABS sensor. So I guess I have approximately 5 months before I have to replace my hub again...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The ABS sensor in my Detroit axle hub is not functioning at the moment. They are refunding me $16 of my purchase price for me to buy a different ABS sensor. So I guess I have approximately 5 months before I have to replace my hub again...
If D.A. doesn't want the bad hub assembly back I'm more than willing to send you the used sensor. That part worked perfectly on both sides for me.

Hopefully mines a fluke and yours will last.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If D.A. doesn't want the bad hub assembly back I'm more than willing to send you the used sensor. That part worked perfectly on both sides for me.

Hopefully mines a fluke and yours will last.
I appreciate the offer, but Im not sure you'll be able to get the sensor out without breaking it. I tried to get my stock abs sensor out of my old hub and broke it in the process.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Just want to double check this is the part number?

Timken SP450701

·
Registered
606 Posts
F - A - G (it censored it, but that's the brand) makes great wheel bearings. I'm sure if the time ever comes, I'll press my bearings out and figure out what size they are and order the corresponding F - A - G bearing. I'm not replacing a whole hub assembly.
Yes F-A-G makes very good quality hubs.

I just put on BCA and they work ok so far.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
....I've seen Timken and Moog recommended several times. Are those still considered best choice?

Thanks in advance!
Go with Timken. That's what the X comes with from the factory, and they usually last at least 60,000 miles or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd say that right there ^ is about as good a recommendation as you're likely to get.
Welp. A follow up here. Detril Axle brand last 6mo each. Replaced both sides with Timken brand. 1 year and 10,000 miles later and the right side is starting to go again. At least the Timken lasted twice as long as the Detrait Axles... Guess my rig just eats wheels bearings. This is getting old.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts