Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It was a hardpack dirt road with a mud puddle. Ive done similar in my Outback
my trooper and my Xterrs S. Cool to watch and rougher terrain than 98% of suv's will ever see though. Would like to see other vehicles attempt the same trail

Like they say at the end,"I could do that in a Pinto". ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Back in the day...

I successfully used my 1972 Datsun 510 on a road like that.
Yes, I did need to use a jack when it got high centered.:iconbiggrin:
I didn't care about damage (as usual, I had another car at home).
Damage was minimal to the undercarriage and the suspension was perfect afterwards.
I still would rather drive a road like that in my PRO-4X.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've had my Civic on stuff harder than that. If they are going to do an off road test they should find something a bit less... civilized.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Having lived in Colorado for over 13 years and wheeling Xterras 4 years before moving to Florida (which is about to become short lived), I gave him my .02 in a good way and what I thought. There are a couple of trails near Woodland Park, CO, that would have been a better testing area without risking damage. They could have even used the locker to show how that worked as well.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I have seen those guys review cars before and it is more of a joke than anything. Not really anything factual. Usually one guy will drive one, gripe about something sports car is too sporty, off road vehicle has rough suspension, truck sits too high etc. Then they talk about it. Never found their reviews useful at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have seen those guys review cars before and it is more of a joke than anything. Not really anything factual. Usually one guy will drive one, gripe about something sports car is too sporty, off road vehicle has rough suspension, truck sits too high etc. Then they talk about it. Never found their reviews useful at all.
So like Top gear just no where nearly as good.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
"The front is an independent rear suspension."

Did anyone else catch that at 7:46? These two guys are a bunch of morons.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
They also said that the X wasn't available with a manual.

·
on line
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty accurate except he thinks the windows on the X are big? He has limited SUV experience or maybe he is too young to remember the Troopers and Monteros of old and their room . I dont understand his obsession with a manual trans though.
Right!!! Man I sure did love/miss the trooper and Montero

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think some of you are really underestimating the trail that they were on. Trail damage rates it as a 4-6 [http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6].

To put that in perspective, I was driving up Cinnamon pass a couple of years ago, which is rated a 2-3, and saw an older person in a honda minivan with his front bumper wedged against a rock shelf spinning his tires. He backed up a couple of times and tried again but couldn't get over it. That rock shelf wouldn't have looked like anything on video but without adequate ground clearance, it just isn't possible.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think some of you are really underestimating the trail that they were on. Trail damage rates it as a 4-6 [http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6].

To put that in perspective, I was driving up Cinnamon pass a couple of years ago, which is rated a 2-3, and saw an older person in a honda minivan with his front bumper wedged against a rock shelf spinning his tires. He backed up a couple of times and tried again but couldn't get over it. That rock shelf wouldn't have looked like anything on video but without adequate ground clearance, it just isn't possible.
From TD website:
Information last updated on June 21st, 2011.

LHC isn't that difficult anymore. I would have been more impressed with him doing Bill Moore Lake or Cascade Creek. Those are worthy of showing the capabilities of the Pro 4X. I have done both of those recently as well as many other trails while living in Colorado.

·
Registered
117 Posts
From TD website:
Information last updated on June 21st, 2011.

LHC isn't that difficult anymore. I would have been more impressed with him doing Bill Moore Lake or Cascade Creek. Those are worthy of showing the capabilities of the Pro 4X. I have done both of those recently as well as many other trails while living in Colorado.
I don't disagree with you. I'd like to see them use a trail with more rock crawling. My beef is with those that think they could take their stock family/economy cars up to the top.:banghead: There is no way.

I must admit that I am also biased because I've been watching them for several years and their videos helped me decide when I was cross shopping my x with the wrangler/fj/grand cherokee/4runner.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Pretty accurate except he thinks the windows on the X are big? He has limited SUV experience or maybe he is too young to remember the Troopers and Monteros of old and their room . I dont understand his obsession with a manual trans though.
Compared to modern designs, the X has large windows and excellent visibility. The FJ Cruiser and Hummer series all have tiny bunker-like windows compared to the X.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts