Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, does the 0 in 0-5 fan selectios equal off/no fan? I know this sounds silly, but when I have my fan in 0 zone, it seems to still have some faint positive flow through my vents.

·
on line
54 Posts
That's because the outside vent is still open. The wind pressure forces air through the system as long as the outside vent dampers are open. If you push the recirculation button it will close the outside vent dampers. I am not sure of the logic behind it, but it was that way in my Gen 1 X as well.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Not sure if this is still true, Bet it is though...but around 1972 or so it was a mandated safety feature that cars had positive air flow at all times so as to clean the cabin of possible carbon monoxide exhaust gases. Manufacturers accomplished this by spinning the fan a bit even when in off as long as the key is on. This is what the vents are in the back for, it allows the air to escape. Fresh air in dirty air out. It don't help when you pass a Skunk sleeping on the side of the road though huh? MC

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bet you're both right! :drink:

Even in recirc mode, you get the highway skunk, or diesel smell when driving at speed. Fresh air is always being pumped in at various levels.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yes I know he is right for sure. And I know I am right also it's just I don't want to look up the info to prove it. But if the vent is open, you will get flow relative to your speed. However even if you are stopped, they Positive Ventilation takes over and the fan will still keep fresh air flowing at a hardly noticeable rate. The Fan gets no rest! MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
It does not take much airflow to turn over the cabin of a car.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
kokopop said:
It does not take much airflow to turn over the cabin of a car.
A little air flow? Kinda like Hurracane Katrina???Now that would turn over the cabin... :geek:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
If you take it apart and look, you will see that when you completely close the door as far as no recirculate,,, that door normally electrically or vacuum operated will not close all the way as in ....impossible. So, when you shut it all down and turn it all off, you still have a spinning fan and fresh air even if a minimal amount. It's a requirement/safety feature same as seat belts, vents on gas tanks, bumpers, crap like that.
MC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts