Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone got a question for you.
my fan sounded really load so I thought I would replace it. But now my temps get up to 240 the highest I’ve seen was 248 driving on the freeway. Never did that with the old loud fan clutch. Do you think it’s a bad fan clutch or need a thermostat sensor replace? Let me know if anyone has had this happen. It does get hotter when just driving around town as well.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Start with coolant level. Clutch could be bad, but freeway speeds shouldn't matter that much. Putting the fan on backwards will do it That will block airflow better than anything else.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X 6MT
53 Posts
Fan clutch is one of those things that should be OEM. Lots of people have problems with aftermarket fan clutches. I know, it's pricey.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
684 Posts
Yep, OEM only on fan clutches. Other brands are bad juju.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks for the reply. Yeah it was a cheaper one so I’ll look for an oem thanks all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn. I was gonna go aftermarket just to ease the fan noise, but I don't have a lotta bucks to throw around on a noise, after spending a treasure replacing every single 15 year old suspension component., (plus my AC compressor). I'm thinking it can't be too bad for now to always have the fan going, and I never go above 195 degrees (via Torgue app), so maybe I should just leave it. How much does Nissan ask for a fan clutch anyway?

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was reading on the electric conversion but it seemed that the fans did not have the cooling capacity and I would be in the same boat as I am now. I'll have to check those out.. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or if you have a little extra cash ($366) you could always ditch that whole fan clutch and switch over to all electric cooling -

Flex-a-lite 295 27" Dual Electric-Fan System with Variable Speed Controller Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 295 27" Dual Electric-Fan System with Variable Speed Controller: Automotive

Assuming you have a strong alternator that is. This and a new alternator will be my next project before the start of another Texas summer.
Do you have pics of your install?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My business partner made the swap to electric on his 1990 Lincoln Mark VII and it stays cooler now in the Texas heat than before along with less drag on the engine. Also his A/C works better at idle - great for stop and go traffic. His only recommendation is to buy a good fan, either high quality aftermarket or some flavor of OEM. Considering all modern vehicles have electric cooling it is definitely a smart upgrade in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts