Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howzit, So I washed out my engine bay the other day to remove all that mud and now my belt squeales like a pig. I used no chemicals to clean the engine just low pressure water and a rag. I checked the belt and its not frayed or worn. The pullies are all spinning straight and not wobbling. The alternator is clean with out corrosion. I bought some belt spray and liberally sprayed down the belt and it seemed to have cured the problem, but now when I first start the engine it will squeal for around 5 minutes and then fade away. Its been persistent in squealing during starts only. I thought that maybe the belt might be loose but It had perfect tension on it as well. The loudness of the squeal increases in unison with an increase of RPM and gas. What do I need to do to get rid of that damn SQUEAL! Any suggestions or advice?
Aloha, nalu's one

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I wonder if this is caused by the TSB thats out there for the belt tensioner?

have you had this fixed yet?

·
on line
423 Posts
lostboy said:
I wonder if this is caused by the TSB thats out there for the belt tensioner?

have you had this fixed yet?
ditto on that. i bet that it what it is. have the dealer check it out for you. going to the dealer is a pia, but they need to fix these legit items.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
funny you bring that up... My 07 X with 9,000 miles. hmm

had to remove some ammo cans from the cargo rack. FIred up the X. as it's warming up I am unloading ammo cans ( snow chains).

noticed the slight squeal, as it increased.. then would guss 5 minutes later it went away.

no, under hood washing, no mudding, So far just gravel logging roads, Rain storms..

I am going ot keep a eye on it.. and see what it does.. I hope its something simple & goes away. I hope.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howzit, Thanks for the TSB heads up. I will bring it in to the dealer and see what they say.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have answered this before, it really is caused by belt contamination, any dirt on that belt and it will squeak. The real cure is to clean the belt and the pulley's. I suggest to use Krumcutter available in paint dept at auto zone. You can try to accomplish this with the belt on. Hose it down with Krumcutter and turn it over to change belt position and hose it down again. then rinse. Really good. It will still squeak until it dries. If it dries and still squeaks, Remove the belt and do it by hand with a soft brush, also do the pulley's. This will work unless you belt is toast.

When washing, you will get contaminants on the belt, so try to shy away from it. Rinse it really well before starting.

I have been experimenting with this Krumcutter and it is now an USMC authorized all purpose Xterra cleaning agent no owner should be without!

MC

·
on line
74 Posts
Tell your dealer about this bulletin.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howzit, Thanks again for the heads up on the TSB. I brought the xterra in this morning to the dealer and they ended up replacing the drive belt and belt tensioner. No cost to me and the squeal is gone.

·
on line
27 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem and it was the belt tensioner. The dealer replaced the drive belt and belt tensioner. FIXED!!!

·
on line
91 Posts
I finally took mine in last week and they fixed it no problem no questions. He fif laugh that I had 35,927 miles on it. Only 73 miles left of warranty.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mine is squealing too... but that is partly due to the fact that it had been sitting for a month, and partly due to the fact that other people with a supercharger have complained that the belt that stillen provides is crap.

I contacted stillen and they suggested getting the goodyear gator back belt. Its around $75 buck a pop, but is supposed to be top notch. I will let yall know when it comes in.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i just found the same exact belt at summit racing for ~34 bucks......

Who the hell needs Stillen anyway?!?!? LOL.... naaa but the sales rep gave me the part number and told me i might be able to find it cheper somewhere else.... pretty honest.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
is this thing still going on?? cause my belt is squealing also. it's pissing me off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts