Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, give me a break, female of the species here. I took the truck 2 times out , hit a few mud puddles and it sounds like the fan belt is going. Washed the underside with a sprinkler sound went away. High pitched whining has come back again, washed the X up, sprinkler and all, sound went away for a few hrs, what's up with this? Trying to clean it up before I take it to the dealership, also the clear coat application is coming off on the drivers side after my little fun trip. It's under warranty being an 06. But have I done something stupid?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Doesn't sound like you've "done anything stupid", and it does sound like it's all covered under waranty.

·
on line
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the truth

Well, the truth is that I gunned the engine to not get stuck and fished tailed through a lot of mud over an hour or so, hell, this is supposed to be a vehicle that can take a little mud. I also tried to take it up the side of the levy, 45 degree angle = or -, got 40 feet, wheels spinning 10 ft from top, no momentum, reverse, 90 lbs of mud and it was a great day. Then fan belt, I think begins wailing, only goes away when I wet it. I'm not a mechanic but some threads suggest that it is dirty? Have cleaned the X up, but not knowing that much about the new X before the trip to the dealership.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I seriously doubt you did anything harmful from your fun in the mud. It sounds to me like every time you wet the belts that the crusty mud bceomes more lubricating, where-as when it dries out, it makes your belt squeek.

Take it in, don't mention anything about fishtailing in mud like a bat out of hell, and you'll be set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts