Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning to replace my front and rear door speakers. I understand that its 6x9's in the front, and 6.5" (or 6.75") in the rear doors. I look at crutchfield to get an idea of which models/brands, and they filter out most of the speakers in these sizes that they sell. Am I missing something... are not all 6x9's the same - is there some clearance issues I need to watch out for? Someone enlighten me.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i believe tweeter protrusion is one issue. Since you are retaining the factory speaker grills the tweaters may stick out too far and hit the grill.

I think depth in the rear of the speaker could be another issue at hand. Not sure how deep that area is but if the speaker depth is deeper than the area in the door, the speaker won't fit.

You can unfilter your search on the crutchfield site to see all items, and you can check mouting depths ect to see why some were ruled out.

·
on line
11 Posts
Im confused like you brett Im looking at replacing as well and wondering why crutchfield filters out infinity reference series speakers but allows infinity Kappa series. The reference is the same housing size and the depth of reference is a 1/16 smaller in depth yet they say wont fit . The only thing i can figure out is the kappa is more expensive. Im not sure what im missing :dontknow: . Maybe Ill post a speaker question while im here about speakers. Can I put 3 way 6x9's in the front door of th X and would i want to? with just using factory wiring? I wasnt able to get picture of my set up brett went to use my cam and realized the battery is no longer holding a charge.sorry.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
depth will likely not be an issue, when i installed my 6x9s a week ago i had to cut some off some of the back of the plastic holder, but there was still several inches of room behind the speaker. I went with polk audio in the front, the tweeters do not stick out very far, there are no forward clearance issues either.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
if depth is not an issue, you might give them a call and ask why. They tend to be pretty helpful or shoot them an email.

Oh, and let us know what you find out.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
talk to the guys using chat, its soo helpful. theyll get you set up 100% acuratly. on mine, the backs were 5 1/4". i had to drill some holes in the door for some supplyed hardware and a supplyed bracket. i have my setup in my sig, i love it, and it worked out very well.
best of luck

·
on line
161 Posts
I have inifinty's all around and they are reference series.

First off Best BUy test fit them to make sure they would fit before they went ahead and put them all in. I have 6x9 components w/ tweeters in front and then whatever fits in teh back, i forget exactly. However, they sound great. Although i wish they had designed it with 6x9s in the rear for better sound quality, i had to adjust +1 towards the rear with fade, but the alpine deck i have does it well and it sounds unblievable. I am not running an amp, and i have better and crisper bass than most of my friends with subs (yea they are pretty crappy subs but still) and the hi end is really great too.

My only question now is what are those little speakers in the front corners of the dash? Best buy said they were tweeters but not normal size and they werent comfortable with ripping them out and putting in new tweeters. I think i might go back and check again, because im not sure if it was that, or just they didnt feel like ripping apart my entire dash for just 2 tweeters.

Overall Infinity is the way to go i think. They fit well and have great bass. Alpines you could probably go with as well, but i think the bass and crispness of the infinitys is what won me over.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Catalyst said:
My only question now is what are those little speakers in the front corners of the dash? Best buy said they were tweeters but not normal size and they werent comfortable with ripping them out and putting in new tweeters. I think i might go back and check again, because im not sure if it was that, or just they didnt feel like ripping apart my entire dash for just 2 tweeters.
For the tweeters on the dash, I believe you just have to pop up the cover use a special screw driver and out come the tweeters.

·
on line
631 Posts
lostboy said:
Catalyst said:
For the tweeters on the dash, I believe you just have to pop up the cover use a special screw driver and out come the tweeters.
use a stubby phillips screwdriver. at least mine are, but my friends frontier had torx screws so im thinking it could be either. i took mine out because i cracked one... stock tweeters dont handle that much power. i will be replacing those with MB Quartz along with MB Quartz speakers in the front doors and Pioneers in the rear.

·
on line
631 Posts
Brownnecktie79 said:
Im confused like you brett Im looking at replacing as well and wondering why crutchfield filters out infinity reference series speakers but allows infinity Kappa series. The reference is the same housing size and the depth of reference is a 1/16 smaller in depth yet they say wont fit . The only thing i can figure out is the kappa is more expensive. Im not sure what im missing :dontknow: . Maybe Ill post a speaker question while im here about speakers. Can I put 3 way 6x9's in the front door of th X and would i want to? with just using factory wiring? I wasnt able to get picture of my set up brett went to use my cam and realized the battery is no longer holding a charge.sorry.
i will be installing 3 ways in the fronts. there should be no clearance problems and have a cleaner sound over 2 ways.
3 ways= highs, mids, lows
2 ways= highs, lows

·
on line
1,574 Posts
my tweters are held in by a small hex bolt that was bolted in at an odd angle. :scratch: the other bolt looks normal. but i will soon be replacing them with refernce series. and im trying to get a job at best buy but they wont hire me. :cussing:

·
on line
161 Posts
yea my front right tweeter is totalled from a wee bit too much bass :geek:

so i think that will be a weekend project or something.
thanks guys

·
on line
1,045 Posts
125inA30zone said:
my tweters are held in by a small hex bolt that was bolted in at an odd angle. :scratch: the other bolt looks normal. but i will soon be replacing them with refernce series. and im trying to get a job at best buy but they wont hire me. :cussing:
Do you have a pic of the dash speakers with the grill off?

I put in an alpine headunit, but now want to replace all the speakers. I know Crutchfield has the door speakers listed, but I didn't see anything for the dash speakers.

Does anyone know what size are they?

...I'm also looking for pics of the doors with the panels off. I haven't done much searching for it yet, but thought I would throw it in ;)

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't see where any 6x9 would be a problem in the front doors (w/o the funky covers of course). I put some 6x9's in mine, with no clearance problems whatsoever. They just bolt straight into the standoff behind the speaker.

The back speakers... are a different story. Unlike the front speakers, the "stand-off" and the speaker are molded into one piece. It's a 6.5"speaker...most people probably just pull the whole speaker assembly out, and screw the speaker straight into the door metal. I just modded the plastic stand-off assembly and put the new speakers back in that. This mod of course has no back-out plan - I just don't have a lot of sentimental attachment to the $3 paper speakers.

The dash tweeters are unique as well (blaupunkt by the way) - they're VERY EASY to check out. Pop the cover and take a peek - a small crescent wrench will take out the screws. Special size... will take a mod to replace.. probably. I'm not aware of any direct replacements.

·
on line
844 Posts
mental note, any coaxial or triaxial drivers are crap. If you don't have the money to go separates (components) just leave it stock, it's hardly worth the trouble. all your treble comes out of the crappy little 3" or 4" guys on the dash, all the mids come out of the 4 speakers that are aimed at people's feet. putting more treble down there is just going to sound worse. I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but if you're torn between crutchfield 3 ways, just don't screw with it and call it a day. you can get a decent component set off ebay plus a decent amp for well less than 300 dollars. and people, darnit, less than 8 percent of music ever comes from the rear channel, when you go to a concert you aren't sitting in the middle of the band, they're in front of you. putting speakers in a vehicle should be trying to achieve what any sound system is designed to do, accurately reproduce music, the way it was recorded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts