Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way into work this evening I had a guy pull up next to me and motion for me to roll my window down. He then told me that my spare tire was loose. So when I got to work I checked it out. Sure enough the tire (up underneath the truck) is swinging and turning. I just had new tires put on (for those who don't know) about 2 to 3 weeks ago. It's pretty slack now with probably 3'' of give to it.

So now, I'm looking around to see where to tighten it up and can't find anything obvious. Of corse my owner's manual is at home, and I don't feel comfortable driving 45 miles up the road with the tire like this. So can anyone tell me how to do it? Is there a crank (like on Chevrolets?) somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Also, would this be something that I should take up with the tire shop. This could have been ugly. Had the spare come off while doing 65mph down the road with traffic around me... someone could've been killed. I had no problems at all with it loosening up before, and they were the last and only ones to touch it.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
You'll want to stick the "T" end of the rod into the hole above the rear bumper (while the hatch is open). You may need the extension bar (straight rod) to clear the bumper. The lug wrench has a square hole about halfway down the shaft. This will attach to the straight rod. Crank your spare up, and you should be good to go.

I would definitely bring it up with the tire shop if they did touch the spare. The tire shop I use doesn't mess with either of my spares.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

The tire shop had to mess with the spare because I had the spare tire changed over to the BFG MT also. I'm going to make a call to them tomorrow morning. Being a mechanic myself I can understand that mistakes are made from time to time and that this particular thing could've happened due to outside factors. But the facts of the matter are that I had no problems with it backing off before and if the tire did come off lives would've been in danger and I would've been held responsible.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No... I'm saying that I can understand that sometimes you can just have a bad day and make mistakes. Now I'm not excusing things that fall into the common sense factor or anything major. Every career mechanic knows what I mean. I've done some stupid things before that I truly just forgot, but none of them were something that put lives at risk.

I feel the need now to give an example so you guys don't think I'm a dumb ass (HAHA). I've worked on an electrical problem on a school bus before for 5 hours straight. Most of that time was following wires that run in a plastic track that runs on the inside of the bus from front to rear (about 30ft of wire). I'd put everything but the pannel up by the bus driver back together when I was finished. The driver comes up blaming "Those God damn kids" for taking apart her bus. WOOPS!

·
on line
423 Posts
Actually, they could have cranked it up, but it was lodged incorrectly and looked and felt tight but worked loose from a jolt. When I did my lift, I cranked it back up, it all felt fine, then I heard a bumping noise on my test drive, and sure enough it was loose.

When I had my 285's put on, I looked out the window of the tire shop and the kid was kicking the crap trying to get the spare in. I walked out and told him to position it and then crank. He did that, but I double checked it when I got home and it was slightly off kilter.

One of those things where you just need to verify.

·
on line
807 Posts
Ricky said:
No... I'm saying that I ...... blah blah blah
They were wondering how a mechanic (you) doesn't know how to raise/lower a spare tire.

·
on line
3,333 Posts
stevet47 said:
Ricky said:
No... I'm saying that I ...... blah blah blah
They were wondering how a mechanic (you) doesn't know how to raise/lower a spare tire.
Well I knew where it was cause the guy at the dealership told me but otherwise its not in the most obvious place. I've never had a car with a spare underneath until now.

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh.... woops. Got ya!

Funny guys. Actually the fact is I was lied to by the dealer. When I asked him when I was buying the truck what the hole was (the one you put the crank into) he told me it was a heater vent that blows onto the rear door sill to defrost it when it becomes frozen. He even gave me a big speal about how that was a common problem with the Xterras because of their flat rear bumper that is at level with the bottom of the rear door. I never saw such a thing and didn't really have any reason to question him.

And yes, I did feel like quite the jack ass when I shined my flash light down in it lastnight and saw the crank.

I called the tire shop and the salesman I delt with told me the same thing... that sometimes those bigger tires can go in a little off and tighten down. Then all it takes is some bumping for it to come unjammed. He acted like it was a common thing, which to me is just rediculous. You would think that if it was so common that they would know to shift the tire around when cranking it up to center it. Oh well... water under the bridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts