Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I added some Hella 500 lights and also changed my fog lights to an independent switch. At first, I used the cheapo Autozone rocker switches, then found these - Nissan Off-Road Light Switch - $8.49

Thought those looking to add lights might like to know where to get a $9 factory switch. Nissan PN 21566M

EDIT - this isn't a simple plug and play switch for off road lights. It requires quite a bit of work to use. There's a write up about it on Club Frontier HERE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Bought the Toyota switches- they light up amber and fit perfect in the spare blanks

I added some Hella 500 lights and also changed my fog lights to an independent switch. At first, I used the cheapo Autozone rocker switches, then found these - Nissan Off-Road Light Switch - $8.49

Thought those looking to add lights might like to know where to get a $9 factory switch. Nissan PN 21566M

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beware iirc the factory switch is momentary not on-off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good call. I didn't buy them yet.

Why in the world would Nissan use momentary switches? SMH. Looks like some Toyota parts might make their way into my X.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

Why in the world would Nissan use momentary switches? SMH. Looks like some Toyota parts might make their way into my X.
Because lights are no longer controlled by switches and relays. They use the switch to tell a module to turn on a relay.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because lights are no longer controlled by switches and relays. They use the switch to tell a module to turn on a relay.
Ahhh, the old computer control is better than manual control thing... I get it.

Geez. These computer thingies sure seem to be everywhere. :tard:

·
on line
3,673 Posts

If you search on Club Frontier, someone figured out how to use that switch to work like a regular light switch. I' can't remember exactly how they did it but I remember reading it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very cool. I'll look that up.

EDIT - I saw the write up on ClubFrontier and it's not a simple plug and play. I think I'll skip this switch.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If you search on Club Frontier, someone figured out how to use that switch to work like a regular light switch. I' can't remember exactly how they did it but I remember reading it.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a flip flop. Requires 4 or 5 relays depending on how you wire them. Search for fog light and off-road rewire or it is linked in my build thread.

·
on line
3,673 Posts
It's a flip flop. Requires 4 or 5 relays depending on how you wire them. Search for fog light and off-road rewire or it is linked in my build thread.
I remember the relay way, but then I also remember that there was another way that only used a single relay and some sort of chip with multiple pins on it. I wish I had a link so that I could post it but I have no idea where it went.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
this is the one I used in the blank near the mirror control. Fits perfect. If the locker switch is elsewhere you can compare the opening to the ones on the dash by the mirror adjustment
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-FOG-LIGHT-SWITCH-TACOMA-4RUNNER-MR2-TUNDRA-CAMRY-PU-RAV4-LAND-CRUISER-/171201868066

Do you know if these switches will fit and work? I want to use the switch blank next to my rear locker switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Push-switch-807GR-12volt-Toyota-OEM-Replacement-LED-LIGHT-BAR-Tacoma-/251405659557#ht_5727wt_867

1 - 13 of 13 Posts