Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CCLWB
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, so far my Google-fu is failing me.

I have a '15 Frontier SV. I just bought a set of Auxbeam 4" round lamps that have both low-beam and high-beam circuits, with the intent of installing them into my front bumper where factory fog lights would go. The two lights on a given circuit draw 36W with a draw of 72W if both circuits are going simultaneously. It looks like I can power the low-beams which shine at the ground with my factory fog light circuit, with just doing the dealer-type fog light upgrade install.

What I then remembered is that the Xterra had the option of those roof-mounted Off Road Lamps. It looks like I may still be able to buy the switch and if I install the 3- 4- or 5-position switchhousing in my center console then I'll have a place to put that switch. What I am not able to find is if the Xterra has a specific relay position for the lamps, and one of the computers (BCM?) has pins from the switch to the computer, and from the computer to the relay, to activate these factory lamps. Ideally if the computer in the Xterra has this capability it would not surprise me if the same pins in the Frontier's computer do too (supposedly Frontier owners have managed to use trunk-pop keyfobs to trigger an aftermarket tailgate control) meaning I could wire in a factory-ish means of controlling the high-beam circuits as well.

Worst case I just buy the factory switch, a fuse and relay housing, and wire it up separately from the BCM, but the closest I could go to factory then the better the insttall would be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And yes, I did read some of that thread from around a decade ago describing wiring mods. The particulars of the mods are not a problem, I've done that kind of thing before, just want to see what the factory-ish options are before I go adding whole new circuits.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Is this what you're looking for:
Handwriting Schematic Font Whiteboard Parallel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 139978

Well, if I would have to go down the route of a whole new circuit, that is what I'd need to do. I was more wondering what the as-installed-at-the-factory switch for the as-installed-at-the-factory roof lamps is connected to, since I presume that one of the computers would take the place of the octocoupler and there'd be a relay position whose description doesn't seem to match its function to actually apply current to the lights based on a continuous signal from the computer. I haven't yet dug through the Xterra FSM, may end up doing that one of these days but was hoping there was a more condensed version due to someone having already done the research.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
178 Posts
Well, if I would have to go down the route of a whole new circuit, that is what I'd need to do. I was more wondering what the as-installed-at-the-factory switch for the as-installed-at-the-factory roof lamps is connected to, since I presume that one of the computers would take the place of the octocoupler and there'd be a relay position whose description doesn't seem to match its function to actually apply current to the lights based on a continuous signal from the computer. I haven't yet dug through the Xterra FSM, may end up doing that one of these days but was hoping there was a more condensed version due to someone having already done the research.
There's a relay under the steering column for the boob lights on the xterra pro-4x. I'm ignorant about the frontier, but I doubt that you'll have that since your truck is an sv trim. Also, even if you did have it, I wouldn't want to run my external lights through that boob light circuit since it would then only work when your brights are on... unless you modded it. It would definitely be cleaner to just build a new circuit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a relay under the steering column for the boob lights on the xterra pro-4x. I'm ignorant about the frontier, but I doubt that you'll have that since your truck is an sv trim. Also, even if you did have it, I wouldn't want to run my external lights through that boob light circuit since it would then only work when your brights are on... unless you modded it. It would definitely be cleaner to just build a new circuit.
Is that relay in its own housing or simply loose on a connector? I'm thinking how the trailer tow relays behind the kick panel are set up.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
178 Posts
Is that relay in its own housing or simply loose on a connector? I'm thinking how the trailer tow relays behind the kick panel are set up.
This thread has a lot of good info and pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 139978

Does this electronic diagram seem the same? I have a difficult time working using hand-drawn so I end up doing it in a program so my brain has an easier time with it.

Product Rectangle Font Schematic Slope

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had a thought,I wonder if they might've used the same computer side of things for the bed cargo lights, just programmed to react differently, like illuminating when the doors are opened too, instead of only when the switch is activated.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks great. I'm not sure if the device is actually called an optocoupler (I took the term from a couple posts I read while researching). It's a flip-flop circuit driving a regular relay that emulates a mechanical latching relay.

Edit: Here's what I have for the latch -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looks great. I'm not sure if the device is actually called an optocoupler (I took the term from a couple posts I read while researching). It's a flip-flop circuit driving a regular relay that emulates a mechanical latching relay.

Edit: Here's what I have for the latch -
If those are rated to switch 10A, why did you use another relay?

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Parallel

By all means this not intended as a criticism, I've just had a career of looking at things with an eye on either breaking them (quality assurance testing) or simplifying them to the most minimal bill of materials that I can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahahahahahahaha...You know, I have no idea. Poor planning?

Definitely would make for an easier circuit. All I can think of is wire size...
grin

For what it's worth I once built a gameshow panelist lockout buzzer system that used all solid-state relays, including for the buzzers themselves. The thing was a hot mess. It worked, BARELY.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's what I've come up with...

Product Rectangle Schematic Slope Font

It looks like I'll need to order that harness adapter that was discussed in one of the other threads on this topic, and I'll need to order one of these controllers that allows the momentary switch to latch and unlatch the relay.

I may also look at the truck's wiring harness to see if it's possible to make this key-switched to AUX instead of straight off of the battery without an excessive amount of difficulty, I'd rather not accidentally drain my battery if that controller should happen to fail-latched.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts