Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never had a vehicle with a hitch before. I want to be able to tow a utility trailer so I bought the Reese towing starter kit (ball mount, ball, and hitch pin). When I insert it into the receiver and line up the hitch pin hole, the ball mount sticks way out (about 4" from being mounted flush to the receiver). Is this correct? Should I drill another hole in the ball mount?

I guess that I will have this issue with every hitch accessory (carrier, bike rack, etc) that I buy... :confused:

·
on line
2,362 Posts
I have a factory ball mount. I have maybe ½" before the weld on the drop part.
I got another mount and it stuck out about 5" more. I ended up drilling a new hole and cutting down the 2" tubing to pull the ball further forward. In the short wheelbase of the Xterra it made the trailer tow much nicer. Amazing a couple inches extra adds enough leverage to be noticeable in how the trailer tows. Towing with a big truck it makes no difference. Short wheelbase, soft springs, high CG, it can make a difference.

The longer mount is probably fine. Just not as ideal.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I have a factory ball mount. I have maybe ½" before the weld on the drop part.

I got another mount and it stuck out about 5" more. I ended up drilling a new hole and cutting down the 2" tubing to pull the ball further forward. In the short wheelbase of the Xterra it made the trailer tow much nicer. Amazing a couple inches extra adds enough leverage to be noticeable in how the trailer tows. Towing with a big truck it makes no difference. Short wheelbase, soft springs, high CG, it can make a difference.

The longer mount is probably fine. Just not as ideal.

The longer the mount the easier it is to back up. The shorter the space between the hitch and trailer wheels the faster it'll jack knife when backing up. Hence why backing up shorter trailers is typically harder to keep straightened up than big long ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts