Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Factory airbox mod.

18K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  dragonplayboy 
That sounds interesting... used to break the plastic pieces out of the air boxes on old suzuki sidekicks to get more air in, so maybe it would work...

ok, the only thing i can think of is the tube that comes into the airbox on the bottom side of the filter that contects to the finder, the tube once inside the box continues almost all the way to the other side.. so the air would have to go thru that before it gets sucked up thru the air filter...so cutting that tube off closer to the wall of the airbox would probably allow the air to move into the box more quickly?? who knows i'll play it more tomorrow....

I just had to sign up on the fronteir site to look at the images... and it does appear that he is talking about removing the tube that runs on the inside of the air box, I think I will try this mod today after work...

iandade01 said:
For any of you who check out the pix at clubfrontier, and decide to do this, I would suggest using a dremel tool. It took probably 3 minutes to complete with a dremel. It is very messy though, so take the box out first. I didn't and I still keep finding shavings after 2 months.
Thanks for the info, I don't have a dremel tool, but have been wanting to get one...

yeah i'm sure everyhting is there for a reason, but one must wonder the reasons... fuel economy? pollution? sound? who knows.. so i may hold off, but probably will cut it out:) more air is always better, and maybe there wont' be as much lag from giving it gas to actually feeling it go, haha...

dandan said:
i did this lastnight and there is definatly a sound difference not sure about performance because everytime i step on it the x suprises me with the power it has. but it does sound better now.
that surprise never goes away man! I have 33' tires on mine, plus a couple hundred extra pounds, and the power is still there... love it! I will try this mod tonight or tomrrow and let you know what i think.

not sure about the fronteirs, but on the 05 X, the tube that goes from the fenderwell to the airbox is all connected and is a seperate piece. Instead of cutting the inner part of the tube, I just removed the whole tube! it snaps into the air box. I just drove around the neighborhood and could not really notice any drastic changes in anything, no sound diff, nothing, so i'm not sure if this mod is worth doing... Anyone else do this or something similiar? let me find some batteries to my cam. and i'll take some pics of the box and the removed tube...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.