Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread there were a couple of ideas for adding strength to the Shrock sliders. Maybe Jim can comment on the merits of these ideas?

RiNkY said:
Can't help thinking that if Jim added a gusset in Red below to the sliders, it would make them way less likely to bend upwards. I've seen a few cases now of Shrock sliders on 1st Gen X's that have been pushed up into the area they are supposed to protect. I think I might have to pay a local fab shop to add that for me on mine.
DBAX said:

·
on line
429 Posts
I can't see how it could hurt. But if Jim thought they were necessary, he would probably add them.

If it would make you feel better, have them added. I personally don't think it's necessary, but your peace of mind is all that really matters.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Shodan said:
...I personally don't think it's necessary, but your peace of mind is all that really matters.
Use your Hi-Lift and watch as the pinch gap closes in.

·
on line
429 Posts
syndicate said:
Shodan said:
...I personally don't think it's necessary, but your peace of mind is all that really matters.
I'll run right out and do that.

I simply advised him to do it if it makes him feel better about the strength.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
syndicate said:
Shodan said:
I have hi-lifted from the sliders quite a bit and they don't flex much at all. The little bit that they did, that gusseting I don't think would have helped. Now what it does help is the stress on the weld.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea a sky scraper is not too rigid. (Got to have some flex or break)
I'd rather use a block of wood in a place of my choosing to shore things up if needed. Welders know the formulas on what will hold what. I'm sure we are covered. I think we have one bend on record, pretty snappy rock shot and it was covered by Jim anyways. MC

Fish with a fishing pole or a wood stick? What works better?

·
on line
1,407 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Inuits seemed to catch a lot of fish with wood sticks! I'm just kidding ya-

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I have mine on and welded to the frame and mine haven't moved any place. I've had it up enough where I almost rolled my truck. :pale:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
B Slater said:
usmc xterra said:
Inuits seemed to catch a lot of fish with wood sticks! I'm just kidding ya-
Muskie are fish. Anything else is a Guppies (Talking fresh water lakes)
Hey a Bamboo pole did work for bluegill. Bad example I guess I was going for the stiff stuff snaps analogy. Man I'm just off my game today huh? Ok, I don't know sheet! Never mind! I'm with Dan, I nearly rolled mine in an impromptu demonstration in the garage! Through the wall! You bet your azz I put a hand on it! LOL Whew! I had my 60 almost maxed out. This act did require a change of trousers. MC

·
on line
3 Posts
Funny thing, I just got my sliders from Jim last Friday, and look what happened to be on the mounts. I love them so far, super product!
-=- Doug

Front Mount

Rear Mount

·
on line
1,831 Posts
WHAAAAAT? Oh man. Makes me wish I had waited another month before I ordered mine. Well, at least he gives the customers what they want.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
If pretty sure that gusset has always been there on the 2005+ sliders.

The gusset doesnt effect flex, it is just an insurance policy for the weld. The frame flexes a little too. If they flex up too far, they will hit the pinch seam and stop. This is no big deal and is by design.

·
on line
120 Posts
So, this may be a dumb question.....
How much do the sliders flex when jacking the side of the truck up off the ground with a Hi-Lift?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts