Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an Alpine deck with both GPS and XM and want to install both satellite antennas in the front structure of the roof basket (the area just aft of the windshield).

Any easy way into the cabin to run the antenna cabling for each antenna?

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I installed the terk marine xm antenna (37DB), I removed the interior light console and drilled a hole... I used some sylicone to seal and painted antenna flat black.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured. Hey, if I can do it on aircraft, I can do it on the X. Time to take out the drill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any sense if an external antenna improves SIRIUS/XM signal fade, over an antenna mounted inside? Mine is currently in the center of the dash, toward the windshield. So far, no issues, but then again, haven't driven much since installation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As an aside. When we installed a Pioneer unit with GPS, my buddy said that because there is pretty decent coverage of GPS satellites, we could just mount the antenna on top of the head unit under the dash. So far it seems to work fine!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The OEM Sirius antenna is (at least on my truck) installed on the roof above the map lights, and is hidden under the roof box, which doesn't seem to interfere (at least not more than an underpass does).

Since I don't use my XM radio, I uninstalled the antenna, leaving a convenient hole for me to run all the wires I want up to the roof box :)

·
on line
504 Posts
I have my Sirius Antenna run from the rear just above the hatch, in above on the ceiling of the X to the front on the driver side, up down by the windshield then up and out to the unit. Cant see a wire. I did it myself. Works great no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts