Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Extended Warranty - Worth it?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RockyMtnX 
#1 ·
I went to request a price quote online for extended warranties at Warranty Direct. I was wondering if you guys think that extended warranties are worth it or not.

#2 ·
Personally I have never had good luck with them, and though I have had a few over the years, I've never made back my money spent on them.
The contracts are written by them to make them the most money. It's not what is covered but what is not. Example is the encoder motor (used to engage the 4wd by a knob or switch) NOT COVERED only the transfer case is.
Who defines abuse? They do. Who decides if an aftermarket component (which is covered) caused the failure? They do. And if you want to appeal, guess you go to arbitration (of course they choose)
Nope not a big fan of extended warranties, especially on a new vehicle

#3 ·
We bought the extended warranty. Mainly just for drive train issues. Most things i can fix, but if the motor blows or the trans goes out at 60,000 or 70,000 miles I'm covered.

#4 ·
X_Trippin said:
We bought the extended warranty. Mainly just for drive train issues. Most things i can fix, but if the motor blows or the trans goes out at 60,000 or 70,000 miles I'm covered.
My thoughts exactly, I got the 100K in case I break the drivetrain, though at the time I had no plans on modding my X. Now with the lift kit and my future plans, it kina went out the window. My plans changed quite a bit, but I got the Daystar lift so that it can be changed to stock quickly if need be. It really depends on what you plan on doing with your rig. In my opinion, if you are strictly on-road and want the piece of mind, go for it.

#5 ·
We bought the extended warranty through Nissan when we bought the X. I am generally not a big fan, but we got it for about $1200 to extend it to 5yr, 75K miles with a $50 deductible. Like these guys, I figured if a diff blew, or a tranny, whatever, it would be worth it. If it was much more than that, I probably would have passed.

One thing to watch out for is deductibles; if you have to pay $2000 for a warranty and the deductible is a few hundred dollars, you really have to wonder if it is worth it (it is probably not). As mentioned, watch the mods... it will probably void any warranty (the #1 reason I don't plan on running bigger tires).

So, I guess it comes down to how much it will cost. Remember, the statistics are on their side... that is why they offer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.