Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Military surplus M101A2 trailer and I'm looking for some trail conversion ideas. My current plans for the trailer are to:

1. Remove surge brake system.
2. Remove drop stand and install standard trailer stand.
3. Remove existing pintle mount install 4-8 hole trailer mount plate. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=350673236337
I will weld it to the front of the A-frame bracket.
4. Remove and install new axle 3500# with 6 lug 5.5 inch hubs and new springs. This should drop some weight from the trailer.
4. Sell the surge brake and axle and springs.

Looking forward to everyone's input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm browsing that site currently, and I'm joining it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I am on that site with same screen name, I played with the expo trailer idea for a bit. Never went past research phase though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have the trailer, now i just have to improve on it. :)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
:/ ... what's an "Expo" trailer? Is the Expedition Portal website now selling branded trailers? Sounds to me like you're trying to build a budget, high utility, off-road capable trailer ... but I suppose "Expo" is easier to say.

:eek:ccasion5: ... you've got some good ideas, others have suggested a few more. As with any project, I'd suggest sitting down and laying out your requirements/priorities, and then figuring out how to incorporate them into the build.

A trail-capable heavy duty utility/multi-use trailer is going to be a very different setup than a base-camp type trailer ...

Do you want any kind of integrated water or power system? I don't see anything mentioned about that ...

How do you intend to use it? Thinking a bit about that, should help you figure out how to prioritize areas to upgrade/improve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm removing the A-frame bracket tonight and taking it to work to weld the U shaped hitch mounting plate on to it. I will post before and after pics.

I ordered this channel mount to weld to the A-bracket. I'm going to use a lunette eye and pintle for towing off road, I believe it provides the best freedom of movement during towing (I've been using this setup for 18 years for work ;) ).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312040_200312040

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:/ ... what's an "Expo" trailer? Is the Expedition Portal website now selling branded trailers? Sounds to me like you're trying to build a budget, high utility, off-road capable trailer ... but I suppose "Expo" is easier to say.

:eek:ccasion5: ... you've got some good ideas, others have suggested a few more. As with any project, I'd suggest sitting down and laying out your requirements/priorities, and then figuring out how to incorporate them into the build.

A trail-capable heavy duty utility/multi-use trailer is going to be a very different setup than a base-camp type trailer ...

Do you want any kind of integrated water or power system? I don't see anything mentioned about that ...

How do you intend to use it? Thinking a bit about that, should help you figure out how to prioritize areas to upgrade/improve.
me and the wife are talking about how far down the rabbit hole we are going to go with this project.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the trailer I purchased for $150.00 :rockin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM sent

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice buy for $150! It looks in pretty decent shape.

For a very minimalist build I used to think about a truck bed tent and some cots... or a roof top tent for a little less minimalist. That way you can keep the bed for hauling around stone if you so desire.

I am still in the dreaming stage though... and here in PA I don't have too many places to go that you can't drag a regular pop-up to so I keep talking myself out of it. See... i did it again.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Funny, I'm looking at the Dinoot tubs and accessories. It turns out they live about 3 miles from my parents, so whilst I'm visiting next week, I hope to see what they're up to. I really like the idea of having a spare, tools, water, gas and a rack up top for bikes...ready to go whenever!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the dinoot build looks cool, its a very interesting concept.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts