Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought an '07 Off Road and I was wondering...

How long do I have until my diff explodes?

:bom:

·
TNX Administrator
20,256 Posts
Any where between 1 hour - 30 years. It's not a given. It has happened to some folks, but some have no problems with it. Some say it's the tires and some say it's the way you drive or what your dive in.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm an n00b and certainly no expert but I do know this motor puts down some serious torque. Sounds like you can grenade it pretty easily.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think that everyone who has had diff problems wheel their vehicle. If you are staying on the street, you'll be fine. If you wheel, stay off the skinny peddle.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Muzikman... you're all rigged out, have they held up for you?

KILLER, rig btw.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, does anyone wheel out of warranty around here?

The aftermarket hasn't responded, right?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Nope, nothing from the aftermarket yet.

I am sure there are plenty of people who wheel who are out of warranty. The good thing is, if you can get teh dealer to cover it, the driveline warranty is 60K miles.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any indication that the aftermarket has something in the works?

Thanks for the replies. I knew better than to start combing the forums before I pulled the trigger... I'd still be driving my '94 Montero if I had.

Honestly, I can't say enough about this vehicle. I'm not pumped about these anemic diffs they've sold us but I still say it's one hell of a rig. I had the impression that it was a little more trail friendly "out of the box," but what can you do. I'll hold off the rage until mine grenade.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who's Lloyd?

I think there was a Lloyd that used to hang out at the 4x4wire Monty forum... is he here now? Small world.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
25k Here, I wheel it all the time. Nothing yet, but who knows if it will explode my next wheelin trip... :dontknow:

·
on line
2,125 Posts
he muzikman does pittsburg east cover the driveline warrenty? been wanting to ask but didnt have an opertunity. i would hope they would considering they sponsor WPAXC.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Lloyd Swartz. If you don't know him, how are we to believe you actually owned a Montero? Sounds fishy too me..

(j/k)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Do a search, you'll find him. He has been in a legal battle with Nissan to replace his rear diff. He too has a Montero that he loves.

Right now, there isn't much firm word about aftermarket fixes for the diffs.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Never mind LOYD !!

--When you say "I'd still be driving my '94 Montero, if I HAD"

--does that mean that ?

--1) if I HAD TO
--2) if I HAD one left
--3) if I HAD orders
--4) if I HAD drugs
--5) if I HAD sense
--6) if I HAD my druthers

--What do you mean ?????

-- :geek: :geek: ---JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It means if he had read the forums and found out about the weak diffs before buying the X.

At least that's the way I read it.

·
on line
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bingo, Muzikman.

I AM glad, however, that I saw these before I considered the FJ:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My buddy and I both wheel our Xs all the time, and both of us are approaching 50K--out of warranty. No diff problems yet, but since people have been having problems, we've been careful. We take it easy in the slow stuff where the driveline binds as you approach full steering lock. And we're mindful of coming down on a rock or some other tractive surface with a wheel spinning. And if we're really stuck, we winch or tow instead of going nuts trying to drive out.

Not to say that the diffs that have blown all went under these circumstances, but these are the danger zones, it's a weak link, and we've been taking it into account. That said, the day my diff goes I'll be angry, but not in the least surprised. Doing what I do, it's only a matter of time. But for me, wheeling the X is a requirement.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts