Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Most recent addition to the swap was the new Tom Woods driveshaft with 1350 joints. Tom Woods were cool enough to replace the old one under warranty and I paid the difference for the upgrade. I also decreased my pinion angle until I can aquire beefier springs with a snail or military wrap on the front mount. The X squats way more now with the VK power transfer. Axle wrap is a killer to driveshafts and that's what killed the previous DS. I'm still running worn out stock springs with PRG AAL.

It all happened when I needed to jump out into traffic. I dumped the clutch and gave it the beens, which was first time I ever attempted a from a stop launch. It then proceeded throw up driveshaft parts all over the road. After I cleaned up my mess I drove home in front wheel drive. Luckily I had some atf in the back so I kept the TC feed the whole way home. Manual transmissions are more harsh on drivetrain components than autos when launching from a dig.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Strange, I just double checked mine and I can edit it no problem. That's too bad.
Verify on your own. In accordance with the posts on the change over. You can only edit your posts for 24 hours. After that time you lose the edit feature. Membership or not. That's why I am on other forums now. Most info here is. Or will be out dated with no way to update them. Build threads wont be up to date.

The corporate monster that took this site over use the views and new posts numbers has a way to share to stock traders that there viewership is going up. So, they want you to make new posts instead of update old ones.

Moral of the story, see you on XN, or other sites were the info can be maintained properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I'm able to edit my first post of my two year old thread. I'm unsure where the cut off is. Did they get rid of the lifetime memberships? I could have sworn I got one.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Negative. I have been a lifetime member since before the change too. Not even a Unicorn can edit the body of a post after 24 hours. Title - yes, Body - No. Has explained in the thread attached. Lots of reading. Enjoy. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I never bought a membership. I did test it out and I can edit only certain amount of times within 24 hrs. Once I hit the max amount of edits for the time span I have to wait it out. Either way that works for me. I can finally clean this thread up. It has 17k views so I guess it's doing some good.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
G

Good luck man. Be patient and take your time to find the right donor.
What was your criteria for a good donor?

I’m also actively looking but I have reservations, California resident, also a manual trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I have new info that helps axle wrap. The problem I had was while under wide open throttle, from a dig especially, the rear would squat tremendously. The squatting also pushed the pinion up so much (axle wrap) that it would strain the double cardan joint on the driveshaft. On the recommendation of Tom Woods and after upgrading to 1350 joints, I decreased my pinion angle 3 degrees by removing the shims I had installed from AAL. I had zero vibrations in all driving conditions. Stock Nissan Titans come with 1350 joints for the rear driveshaft.

So I did some digging on articles to decrease axle wrap. You can either install a four link, traction bars or swap to military wrap leaf springs. I decided to go the easier less expensive route and purchase some All Dogs Off Road leaf springs w/ military wrap. I configured them to the medium setting which meant swapping the heavy duty spring in for the third spring. What a difference this made.

The X leveled out on lowest setting (first hole) from the Nisstec adj shackles. My previous OEM springs with PRG AAL was set at the second (middle) hole. My squatting woes are gone and no more shock loading the driveshaft under wide open throttle. What's nice is that I have an additional leaf to install if I ever demand more from the rear suspension. The down side is my new driveshaft is maxed out on rear suspension droop because of how large the 1350 joints are. I measured 26" of droop (without shocks installed) from fender to hub. I'm completely fine with results and will post up if anything changes.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts