Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys just purchased the Exide Select Orbital for $135. Its not the top of the line but i figure it will suit my needs. the best one they sell is the Exide XCD (extreme cycle duty) but since the retailer didnt have it in stock i went with this one.

It has 1000 CCA @ 32'F and 770 CCA @ 0'F

The terminals are in the middle so there should be no problem with instillation (I havent tried yet because my navigation system is being installed).

But as soon as I get my truck back i will post a pic of it in the X.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
It sure looks Kick ass, I looked it up and one site says it's a complement to your starting battery as in Aux deep cycle power and one says starter battery. It says starter right on it though. So It should work and have the extra umff. But, make sure you are withing spec on the alt output as AGM battery's tend to call for less juice.

I quote this.
Most external voltage regulators can be adjusted to match the charging voltage requirements of the type of battery being used. This especially important with gel cell and AGM batteries that require a lower charging voltage than flooded cell batteries. Gel and AGM batteries can be seriously damaged or destroyed if charged at the voltages appropriate for flooded cell batteries. Each type of battery must be provided with an appropriate charging system.

read all about it here http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno3_01.asp

Just don't want you to ruin your new Batt. Let us know how it fits and a picture. The price was real good. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Where did you find the Oribital batteries? I spent a good while on Saturday looking for one.

You don't want the XCD as it's just a strictly a deep cycle battery and not a starting battery. If you are looking for the equal to the Optima Yellow Top then you wanted the "Orbital Deep Cycle". The Orbital Select that you got is the equal to the Optima Red Top and the XCD is kind of the equal to the Optima Blue Top only with less cranking amps.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
New cars have no problems charging (or not over charging) the gel cell batteries. What you do run into problems with are the deep cycle batteries and letting them sit. They tend to lose power over time (as I guess most batteries do), the problem is since they are already on the low side for CCA even a battery that has sat for a rath short period of time (less than 1 month) can lose the ability to start the vehicle. Then people run out and buy any old battery charger and give it a high voltage, high amp kick and blow out the battery.

You should have no problems as yours is not a deep cycle battery and my guess you don't let the truck sit for long periods of time.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muzikman said:
Where did you find the Oribital batteries? I spent a good while on Saturday looking for one.
If you call 1-800-STARTIT (1-800-782-7848) you can find a local retailer.

**And I was told that the deep cycle battery is for boats and trolling motors and such.

·
on line
143 Posts
Muzikman said:

You don't want the XCD as it's just a strictly a deep cycle battery and not a starting battery. If you are looking for the equal to the Optima Yellow Top then you wanted the "Orbital Deep Cycle". The Orbital Select that you got is the equal to the Optima Red Top and the XCD is kind of the equal to the Optima Blue Top only with less cranking amps.
Napa Auto Parts...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Xterraclamper said:
Muzikman said:

Napa Auto Parts...
Ya know, it was the one place I couldn't try becuase they were closed.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys.... obviously i was wrong about it fitting! Because it wont without some modification to the positive connections.

So... if anyone can find the post that was around here about four months back where a guy moded his positive wire connections to fit a new battery that wasnt reverse terminal. It would help a great deal!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I made a jumper wire for my stereo. It consisted of 2 8 gauge ring terminals back to back.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I hate the way Nissan did our Pos Bat Cable. I hate it! Can someone explain the logic in that? I'm half tempted to put a new cable on. But it's got the weirdo thingamijiggy in line.

My brother bought a set of low resistance high performance Battery cables for his Toyota that are suppose to save HP and Gas by reducing the load on the alt. Wish same co would come out with a set for us.

I hate to say this, I hope no one sees it. But I think the post you are looking for is on XOC if you hang there. IF My old azz memory serves me right.

Edit I found what I thought you are looking for. Skim the thread 3 pages. someone mentions part numbers from JCW that allow the cables to extend, someone also mentions you can't bypass the fusible links and most of the pictures are gone but someone shows a Optima installed and one guy says he did an Exide with dual posts. Check it out.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

MC
At risk of being banned!

·
on line
25 Posts
I was going through this issue about a month or two ago, when I was trying to find the proper yellow top to buy. Well I decided to check out Exide at my local Exide dealer and went with the Xtreme because I plan on getting a winch in the future. All I had to do was buy a 8 or 10 in. positive battery cable(I bought the shortest one that I could find but can't remember if it was 8 or 10) and hooked it right up. I have been using it for almost two months with absolutely no problems at all. I can't post any pics because no digital camera at the moment. Hope this helps.

Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts