Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Exhaust question...

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  patrick07 
#1 ·
Hey folks, quick question. Since the X has dual exhaust banks, when getting a custom setup made, would we benefit by including an H-pipe in the exhaust before the muffler? Has anyone on the forum run an H-pipe setup on the X? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
H-pipes or X-pipes are used on dual exhaust systems. The cross over between the two banks provides a scavenging effect which improves the overall exhaust flow efficiency. Our X's have a 2 into 1 exhaust setup. It actually provides a similar effect...however it is probably completely defeated by the cheap-ass constricting Y-pipe that is used.

Several people have installed custom Y-pipes that are less restrictive. This will probably give you the best bang for your buck in terms of improving exhaust flow.

regards,

#5 ·
I haven't heard of any Gen II X owners who run a crossover before the Y. I thought it helped more with torque, than with hp. Our X's have massive torque, so perhaps the engineers at Nissan determined it wasn't worth it.

I've always liked the sound and performance of a crossover. My BMW motorcycle has it 1ft from the manifold and 1.5ft from the 2into1, then another 2ft to the exhaust tip. I don't know what kind of tuning is required get the crossover in the optimal position.

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.