Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Exhaust Options

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Erick 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just wanted to see what everyone has done and get some reviews of their systems. I know we have several options, I was just more so looking for the what do you like, don't you like, worth the money, etc. I think it will also be nice to have this all in one location so that we don't get 100 different topics about various exhaust possibilities.

I ran some new 2.5" piping from the flanges just in front of the Y connection and then ran it into a 40 series Flowmaster and finally into the existing tailpipe. It sounded pretty good, no noticeable performance difference. It is currently sitting in my garage because I had to take it off for inspection and have been too lazy to put it back on. I'm thinking about possibly going for the Banks Monster Exhaust that they offer for the Frontier.

But anyway, I know a bunch of you guys have the Gibson and I think a couple have the Magnaflow, so if we could get some opinions on them or any other setups you might be running, that would be great. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
:clown:-Mine is all stainless steel/tig welded and dual from the offset Flowmaster 50 series mufler--sweet sound---

--Definate "RAP" and drone only when lugging engine in- to high a gear-

-- :drunken: :drunken: -JIMBO

#4 ·
Mine is 2 1/2" pipe from the cats into a dual in Magnaflow muffler Single 3" out to a single exhaust. I went this route to do away with the restrictive "y" pipe. It sounds awesome! The power gains from getting rid of the restrictive system are definitely noticeable. I only notice a drone @ 60 in 6th gear (I usually drive much faster than that). I had a shop here in town set it up and it still came in under the Magnaflow bolt on system.

#5 ·
I'm looking for something loud so I don't think that the Gibson would be best for me. I have access to a TIG welder and a pipe bender, so I'm leaning towards a new custom setup. I guess now I just to figure out what kind of muffler to go with. Has anyone had any experience with Hooker mufflers?

#7 ·
JAdams8239 said:
Mine is 2 1/2" pipe from the cats into a dual in Magnaflow muffler Single 3" out to a single exhaust. I went this route to do away with the restrictive "y" pipe. It sounds awesome! The power gains from getting rid of the restrictive system are definitely noticeable. I only notice a drone @ 60 in 6th gear (I usually drive much faster than that). I had a shop here in town set it up and it still came in under the Magnaflow bolt on system.
Do you have any pictures or sound clips of that setup? I'm thinking about going this route.

#8 ·
Better than that is the Gibson cat back. Basically the best exhaust i have had in a very long time, and it has lowered the restriction and made the sound alot better, but not necessarily louder. It took a little while to get used to, and broken in i think. At first it sounded ricey, and you will probably hear that report from alot of people concering the sport exhaust from gibson. After a few thousand miles though, it has settled in nicely and it sounds like a beast, but not a very loud one, which is nice for the neighbors. I think the new y pipe set up has helped the best. Looking at the inside of that thing i wonder if just a new y pipe would have increased horsepower and especially torque by almost as much, but i will definately spend my hard earned money on a Stainless Steel muffler and exhaust set up from a good name company like Gibson so it wont corrode away from salt up here in the North east on the water.

So my basic opinion for you, and best idea for performance and price and sound and quality is the Gibson.

#9 ·
mjm4soccer said:
JAdams8239 said:
Do you have any pictures or sound clips of that setup? I'm thinking about going this route.
I'm out of town for a couple weeks I'll have to get you pics when I get back. I dont have any way to post sound clips.

#11 ·
mjm4soccer said:
Hey guys. I just wanted to see what everyone has done and get some reviews of their systems. I know we have several options, I was just more so looking for the what do you like, don't you like, worth the money, etc. I think it will also be nice to have this all in one location so that we don't get 100 different topics about various exhaust possibilities.

I ran some new 2.5" piping from the flanges just in front of the Y connection and then ran it into a 40 series Flowmaster and finally into the existing tailpipe. It sounded pretty good, no noticeable performance difference. It is currently sitting in my garage because I had to take it off for inspection and have been too lazy to put it back on. I'm thinking about possibly going for the Banks Monster Exhaust that they offer for the Frontier.

But anyway, I know a bunch of you guys have the Gibson and I think a couple have the Magnaflow, so if we could get some opinions on them or any other setups you might be running, that would be great. Thanks guys.
When I did my exhaust the first thing I did was just remove the muffler completely and put in a piece of pipe because I just wanted some different sound. It was soo loud! After two months and two 300 mile trips...way way way to loud. It just got really annoying. I ordered a Gibson and I love it. I took about few hundred miles to break in but now it has a nice low tone to it and I can carry a conversation in my car withouth screaming. I have yet to put it on the dyno at school...if/when I do I will post a video. Another note to add is I have a K&N full setup and that really makes your X loud.

#12 ·
i got a
Flowmaster 50 Series 2 1/2 welded.

I think it sounds good
since is not loud.
and it only gets loud when u get on it..

#15 ·
I used a 2.5" pipe set up with an Ultraflo muffler. Got the sound I wanted.
Definitely didn't want it too quiet, but also not annoyingly loud. It has a
nice med/loud volume to it during normal throttle and gets louder when you
really get on the gas.
Total spent around ~$170. Can't remember for sure.. it's been awhile but
def was under $200. It was something like $80 for piping at shop, $70 for
muffler off ebay, and $15 for the tip.

#16 ·
finally got some pics uploaded.

Some feedback after a couple months:

Gas mileage is better when I'm not enjoying the sound all of the time. Getting an around 18-19 on the tanks when I'm behaving, 14-15 when I'm not (70% hwy 30% city). I've driven a friends X which is exactly the same as mine without the exhaust and I noticed a big difference in the power delivery and how smooth the throttle is in mine compared to his and what mine used to be.

#17 ·
Very nice pics! I have mine setup with the gibson exhaust and the metal K&N Intake. I love the sound of it because it's just a nice deeper tone without being too much. If I floor it and leave it that way, the tone is very powerful sounding. Nothing I would change about the power, or sound of this setup personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.