Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
My advice would be to stay far, far away from an Nissan Stealership if you value your sanity, and care to keep your hard earned $.

The only real service they offer is to do a VIN lookup and tell you what service has been done to your vehicle.

If you go, they will add you to their database and your mailbox will be forever stuffed with false and misleading advertising asking to buy your car.

The reality is they really just want to sell you a new Nissan.

Find a trusted and highly rated local mechanic to perform any inspections and you'll be much happier.
They also send you multiple notifications to take a survey about the oil change you just got.

Was interviewed by the Manager of the Dealership who wanted to ask about my overall thoughts of them. I said "I love everything except the tons of emails you guys send me." He replied "Yeah, that's a Corporate thing."

Hello! my name is Kyle, located in Grand Rapids, MI.

Just bought a 2011 pro-4x with 87,000 miles on the clock, looks beautiful. I just pray it lasts another 87,000. I'll try my best to figure out how this whole forum works, I've been scouring it for weeks now. I'll be sure to research past threads before starting new ones. Excited to learn a lot from the forum and hopefully share some fabrication projects/builds once I pay the thing off.

-Regards!
Welcome fellow 2011.
I have the S model, 128500 miles and had zero issues, zero things replaced except oil and tires.
However this next month I'm putting new brakes, shocks, steering hardware on the front, aFe exhaust and IMS for fun.

Hello! my name is Kyle, located in Grand Rapids, MI.

Just bought a 2011 pro-4x with 87,000 miles on the clock, looks beautiful. I just pray it lasts another 87,000. I'll try my best to figure out how this whole forum works, I've been scouring it for weeks now. I'll be sure to research past threads before starting new ones. Excited to learn a lot from the forum and hopefully share some fabrication projects/builds once I pay the thing off.

-Regards!
Very Late welcome, got my X at the end of march, but hey also in GR!

Since this was bumped.... Here's my list of what I've done or had go wrong... other than the basic tune-up and fluid changes above.
Check (well, just replace) your cabin filters now. And depending on where you live, and what you park under... about every 10k miles. ~$12-$20 depending on where you get them.
~85k miles, an evap valve went bad. It was a $30 part and 1hr of removing the driver rear plastic to get in there.
~90k miles, my A/C blower motor started to squeak, very occasionally. I bought a new one for $50, just haven't put it in yet. I THINK this was spurred by windows being cracked when a storm blew in.
~90k miles, rear parking brake needed adjustment at the handle.
~95k miles was my first front brake job and it needed a wheel bearing at the same time. Wheel bearing I have down as $277... can't remember if I did both or just the bad 1.
100,040 miles, the plastic fitting into the heater core broke and blew coolant everywhere, leaving me stranded road side (45min until I realized I could remove that fitting and hook hose back up). There are 2 plastic fittings here... one can be removed completely OR replaced with a metal one. The other T-fitting has to be kind of rigged up to be replaced with a metal one. just search "heater core fitting" and you'll get a bunch of threads about them.
106k miles, rear brakes.
107k miles, driver window motor and regulator. It was getting spotty and sticking. You can usually slam door, or knock near the cup holder to free it up. Parts were ~$300... but i think that was an employee dealer cost.

Random thoughts...
Consider a rear cargo cover, if you don't want people snooping on what you have back there... and I think it quiets the road noise down a bit (at least with my M/T tires)
Consider cleaning the MAF sensor (I haven't, its just an easy thing that might as well be done)
My Wheel bearing might be because I wheel the truck. I don't beat on it, but it has 285/75r16 M/T tires and a 2in lift that isn't IDEAL (cheap spacer lift).
Depending on color and year, sometimes the paint isn't great... keep an eye on the roof channels, it'll crack there, which lets rust start on the body and near windshield edge.

That
The hood can cause squeaking if not adjusted correctly.

Forum searching tip- whatever you are looking for go to google and search there with the forum after it, for example: "hood squeak thenewx.org" and you will have the best luck.

2009-2011 are the cream of the Xterra Crop IMO
was the dumbest thing ever!!! I spent $150 on new hood stops with one mechanic, then $120 with another one. THEN, I saw a video that showed the squeak is from the hood latch and .002 worth of electrical tape on the hood latch catch fixed it. Do it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts