Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Excited but Paranoid Xterra Owner

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  05XTERRA S 
#1 ·
Hello! my name is Kyle, located in Grand Rapids, MI.

Just bought a 2011 pro-4x with 87,000 miles on the clock, looks beautiful. I just pray it lasts another 87,000. I'll try my best to figure out how this whole forum works, I've been scouring it for weeks now. I'll be sure to research past threads before starting new ones. Excited to learn a lot from the forum and hopefully share some fabrication projects/builds once I pay the thing off.

-Regards!

#2 ·
Welcome Kyle!

You'll be happy to know 2011 is pretty much universally accepted as being the best year of X's by owners of 2011's that are happy with their rig :)

Seriously though, you should have a good vehicle under you if it looks unabused. First thing I would suggest is pulling the rear diff breather with a 14mm deep well socket and clean it out. Decide afterwards if you want to do the rear diff breather mod. Enjoy!

#10 ·
You'll be happy to know 2011 is pretty much universally accepted as being the best year of X's by owners of 2011's that are happy with their rig :)
Exactly. After they worked all the bugs out, before they put bling wheels on them. Perfection. :wink:

Fun fact, according to some highly educated and reputable used car salesman, there are only 2 2011 PRO-4X's in the world, and I have one of them, I guess that means you must have the other. (Just in case you take me seriously, that is BS...)

Welcome to the board Kyle.

#4 ·
1. There are a number of minor squeaks, rattles, and noises that I hear when driving daily. What are some common things to check to eliminate obvious operation noise (for example, exhaust shields, brackets, skid plates, mud guards, suspension and steering components, etc.)

2. What are the most critical things I should check about the vehicle to ensure that its dependable and would you recommend taking it into a local shop that I trust to give it an inspection before the (3 month - 3,000) mile warranty is up?

Thanks for any tips-info or for pointing me to an existing thread!

-Cheers

#5 ·
Welcome fellow 2011 X owner. Change all the fluids, do the diff breather mod. Keep everything in working order as needed, and enjoy your X for another 100k plus miles.

Fluids to change:
Front and rear diff
Trans (PMF if auto)
Transfer case
Oil
Radiator

You may even want to flush the brake fluid and the power steering fluid.

Check upper and lower ball joints, brake pads, tie rods, change out the cabin and engine air filters.

I honestly cannot think of another vehicle that I'd rather own than the X.

#7 ·
Welcome! In Xterra years 87k is like a teenager so you'll easily get another 87 if you take care of it.

Assuming everything on it is stock you're at the mileage where it wouldn't hurt to take to take a look at the brakes/rotors and look over the suspension. Shocks are probably in need of replacement, definitely front sway bar bushing(cheap) and end links. Diff fluid along with transmission fluid should be changed, check the engine air filter and cabin air filters to make sure they are clean/new.

If you have a good Nissan dealer nearby I'd recommend taking it to them and paying the 90 bucks or whatever it is to get an inspection done, just tell them you just bought it and want to be aware of any issues. If they are halfway decent they will tell you what matters and how much of a priority it is.

#26 ·
That
The hood can cause squeaking if not adjusted correctly.

Forum searching tip- whatever you are looking for go to google and search there with the forum after it, for example: "hood squeak thenewx.org" and you will have the best luck.

2009-2011 are the cream of the Xterra Crop IMO
was the dumbest thing ever!!! I spent $150 on new hood stops with one mechanic, then $120 with another one. THEN, I saw a video that showed the squeak is from the hood latch and .002 worth of electrical tape on the hood latch catch fixed it. Do it.

#11 ·
2011 is objectively the best year.

I've found that unless there is some internal engine trouble or something, it is not worth taking to the shop. There is a TON of info on this forum that can help with most of the stuff you want to do. I had no truck/car experience when I got my X two years ago and I have been able to do absolutely everything on it myself. It has probably saved me at least 10 grand so far!

#13 ·
Welcome from KY! Prior to our current X we had an '11 model and I will have to say that I was more pleased with that vehicle. No real problems in 4 years and almost no squeaks, rattles or anything minor really. Those models came out of the TN plant, which I think produced a superior product.

So all that is to say, "your good". Enjoy your Xterra!

#14 ·
Anything in particular you are afraid or paranoid of?

with 2011 MY you should be free of most of the know defects(if they can be called that).

just take good care of it from here on out and you should be fine.

many people have older models with more miles that are still very reliable and capable vehicles.

def check the hood if you have a squeak at medium speeds. I just fixed mine.

#15 ·
@mtnbound I have noticed that my hood slightly bounces (wiggles) i'll search how to adjust it.

My main concern is a rattling noise I hear accelerating from around 1,500 to 2,000 rpms. I'm hoping its rattling because of the exhaust hitting a certain note in that range?. Any other input would be appreciated.

Also I find sitting at a stop in gear im getting more engine vibration that I would have hoped with a newer car.

-Kyle

#17 ·
Welcome to TNX Site - Issued Membership Upgrade. :thumbup:

#18 ·
My advice would be to stay far, far away from an Nissan Stealership if you value your sanity, and care to keep your hard earned $.

The only real service they offer is to do a VIN lookup and tell you what service has been done to your vehicle.

If you go, they will add you to their database and your mailbox will be forever stuffed with false and misleading advertising asking to buy your car.

The reality is they really just want to sell you a new Nissan.

Find a trusted and highly rated local mechanic to perform any inspections and you'll be much happier.

#21 ·
They also send you multiple notifications to take a survey about the oil change you just got.

Was interviewed by the Manager of the Dealership who wanted to ask about my overall thoughts of them. I said "I love everything except the tons of emails you guys send me." He replied "Yeah, that's a Corporate thing."

#23 ·
Hello! my name is Kyle, located in Grand Rapids, MI.

Just bought a 2011 pro-4x with 87,000 miles on the clock, looks beautiful. I just pray it lasts another 87,000. I'll try my best to figure out how this whole forum works, I've been scouring it for weeks now. I'll be sure to research past threads before starting new ones. Excited to learn a lot from the forum and hopefully share some fabrication projects/builds once I pay the thing off.

-Regards!
Very Late welcome, got my X at the end of march, but hey also in GR!

#24 ·
Since this was bumped.... Here's my list of what I've done or had go wrong... other than the basic tune-up and fluid changes above.
Check (well, just replace) your cabin filters now. And depending on where you live, and what you park under... about every 10k miles. ~$12-$20 depending on where you get them.
~85k miles, an evap valve went bad. It was a $30 part and 1hr of removing the driver rear plastic to get in there.
~90k miles, my A/C blower motor started to squeak, very occasionally. I bought a new one for $50, just haven't put it in yet. I THINK this was spurred by windows being cracked when a storm blew in.
~90k miles, rear parking brake needed adjustment at the handle.
~95k miles was my first front brake job and it needed a wheel bearing at the same time. Wheel bearing I have down as $277... can't remember if I did both or just the bad 1.
100,040 miles, the plastic fitting into the heater core broke and blew coolant everywhere, leaving me stranded road side (45min until I realized I could remove that fitting and hook hose back up). There are 2 plastic fittings here... one can be removed completely OR replaced with a metal one. The other T-fitting has to be kind of rigged up to be replaced with a metal one. just search "heater core fitting" and you'll get a bunch of threads about them.
106k miles, rear brakes.
107k miles, driver window motor and regulator. It was getting spotty and sticking. You can usually slam door, or knock near the cup holder to free it up. Parts were ~$300... but i think that was an employee dealer cost.

Random thoughts...
Consider a rear cargo cover, if you don't want people snooping on what you have back there... and I think it quiets the road noise down a bit (at least with my M/T tires)
Consider cleaning the MAF sensor (I haven't, its just an easy thing that might as well be done)
My Wheel bearing might be because I wheel the truck. I don't beat on it, but it has 285/75r16 M/T tires and a 2in lift that isn't IDEAL (cheap spacer lift).
Depending on color and year, sometimes the paint isn't great... keep an eye on the roof channels, it'll crack there, which lets rust start on the body and near windshield edge.