Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an issue I've been fighting since I bought my Xterra. My front tires are wearing unevenly - the outer tread blocks get "feathered" - the rear of the block wears lower than the front, making the whole tread block sloped.

I bought it brand new. By 5,000 miles the front tires were screwed up so bad it was making excessive road noise. Had it to the dealer, alignment was all good. Rotated them and the the front end chewed up the tires again, much faster than the rear could wear them smooth, so now at 10,000 I had 4 screwed up tires. Bought my Revos for winter. At 20,000 miles I took it back again for the same issue because my Revos were screwed up too. Now I had two sets of tires doing the same thing. Same answer - alignment is good, "we don't know what is wrong."

Fast forward to today, 55,000 miles. Road noise driving my crazy. Called Nissan customer service. They had me take it to the dealer. Alignment is still good, regional rep looked at it, acknowledged the problem, but because "mine is the only one" having this problem, there is nothing they can do for me. He noted its probably my driving style. Well my driving style is my wife driving back and forth from Jackson to Ann Arbor (35 miles, dead straight, 80 MPH all the way) every day. Very little city driving, and she drives slow, like Grandma slow when it comes to taking off / slowing down / going around corners.

When it was newer, I used to carry heavy loads in it / on the hitch rack a lot more often than now. Used to have two kayaks on top and the back end full of camping gear at least every other weekend. Or my dirtbike on my hitch rack. Not so much of that this summer. Seemed to do it worse when it was newer than it does now. Coincidence?

These pictures don't do the damage justice. Its a lot worse than it looks, I just can't seem to get a good picture of it. Notice the clean and dirty spots on the tread blocks.

Anybody else having this problem?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: If you don't notice UNBALANCE, in the front tires, then--

--My experience with Goodyear/BFG/Yokohama , in your case and the fact that I can't drive/check/monitor YOUR vehicle, I suggest--

--1) too high, air pressure

--2) excessive, Positive Camber, (screw the specs)

--3) faulty front shocks and possible miss-applied front spring spacers

--4) excessive toe-in (screw the specs)

--My thoughts-Good Luck--JIMBO

·
on line
807 Posts
hmm.... well if the tires are balanced (they HAVE checked the balance, right?) then SOMETHING is getting the alignment out, no matter what they say. Jack it up so both tires are off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the tire and try and wiggle it back and forth, this would be a stretch, but a bad wheel bearing may cause something like this. Also, grap the tie-rods and wiggle them back and forth, if there is any play, that could cause the wear too. I have worked at several automotive repair places, and the slackers that do the alignment always just drive the car on the rack, slap the reflectors on the wheels, and adjust it. If you have watched them do the alignment, and they didn't jack it up so that the front wheels are unsupported to check for play in the tie-rods, wheel bearings, etc, they aren't doing their job, and no matter what the alignment rack says, the second you drive the truck it will be out again.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to their service manager about this and he assured me they "shake down" the whole front end before checking the alignment. He assured me everything up front is tight. I've checked it myself several times and I can't find anything loose anywhere up there.

·
on line
564 Posts
My tires started to wear like that at 5,000 miles. I took it to the stealer, who aligned it. I rotated the tires at that time because I wanted to ensure the tires wouldn't wear like that again, and so far (11,000 miles) the tire wear is normal.

Have you tried having another dealer look at your alignment?

Rob

·
on line
735 Posts
Mine do it a bit. I think jimbo is on to something suggesting a slightly custom adaptation of the factory specs. It seems several of nissan's recent suspension designs eat front tires. I'll get 25K out of my stock set...could have been 30k, but the first alignment after I switched to adj. camber bolts was botched and led to a little premature wear.

I looked at my brother's 2wd 2004 4runner and it has relatively new looking tires still at 28k miles. The short arc version of titan alpha front end would seem to be a compromise. I would guess that titans fare a little better since that design was the original unaltered one.

·
on line
652 Posts
You have some type of problem for sure
cupping is caused from a suspension prob and or a shock problem once your tires start to cup they will continue to do so there is no stopping them
Rotate them to the rear and they will continue to do that.
I had an explorer that was doing that
The Idiots at Kauffman tire sold me an alignment on bad ball joints
After they ruined a 780 dollar setr of at revos I found the bad ball joints
they told me the alignment was fine and rotated the cupped fronts to the rear where they continued to cup
The rears were moved to the front and those were soon cupped as well.
I swapped the ball joints and had an free set of tires and a alignment performed on Kauffman tire money

·
on line
1,320 Posts
my sister had something like this happen on here 03 chevy P/U; had to have been a frame/suspension issue... tried many times to have dealer resolve but never got fixed... then went the lemon law route and after many months of banging heads with Chevy they finally just threw new tires on it and sold it.

·
on line
120 Posts
I've got this EXACT same issue with my tires. '06 OR. Although I have like 26,000 miles on them. Dealer says they are defective tires because the alignment is in spec and I should have them warrantied out at a BFG outlet. Even though the dealer SELLS the actual tire I can't do it there....
BTW Nissan dealer in Boulder, CO

·
on line
316 Posts
Im gonna take a look at mine tonight just to make sure everything is good. Haven't noticed any real bad road noise but I notice every now and then it likes to pull one way or the other. Might just take it to GO Nissan to get it checked out. Still need to have a real dealership give it the once over since I bought mine from a small dealer.

·
on line
279 Posts
Midnightblue54 said:
Im gonna take a look at mine tonight just to make sure everything is good. Haven't noticed any real bad road noise but I notice every now and then it likes to pull one way or the other. Might just take it to GO Nissan to get it checked out. Still need to have a real dealership give it the once over since I bought mine from a small dealer.
If you do this, please let me know your impression of the the GO service dept. I live spitting distance from them although I bought the X at Empire in Lakewood. I'm curious if they are a decent service provider.

·
on line
110 Posts
Any resolution to this? At 13,000 miles my stock 2008 OR is starting to cup. Tires have been rotated. Balanced and properly inflated.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Have you tried the magic service improving phrase - "Lemon Aid Law"
Not familiar with the law as we don't have same in Canada but others can chime in..

·
on line
386 Posts
I have been driving 4X4's for about 30 years. I realize the pictures are poor but that wear looks pretty much what I have always seen on the front of my vehicles when I do not rotate the tires enough or keep the front end aligned. I have had tires look just like that after around 30,000 miles if I failed to rotate them. Even when I rotate them by the end of their use they have a wear pattern like that but not so extreme.

Rotating them by moving them from the front to the back helps some but I get better luck when I reverse the fronts when I move them to the back. I believe this is what BF Goodrich now suggests for rotation.

I can say from messing around with the old straight axle 4X4's that the wear pattern comes from a lot of toe in. Toe in is what allows your vehicle to track in a straight line. The problem with taking too much out is the rig will wander quite a bit on the road.

I would also suggest having someone else check the alignment on the X and viewing the spec sheet which you should get.

·
on line
386 Posts
The best thing I ever did for my tire wear was switch to synthetic mtotor oil and go to 5000 mile changes where I also rotate the tires using the C pattern shown.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
I do the C pattern as well at EVERY oil change (5k kms). Most manufacturers spec a slight toe in on the front for stability. If you go to any shop that matches to spec, you'll get the same problem. Rotating frequently helps to minimize the cupping effect. You may have to find a shop that will spec to 0 to get this to stop, but it'll only take a pot hole or two or a weekend off-road to get the front end out again.

R50 Pathfinder owners have reported the same problem since they were launched in 96. I followed the above for my 96 and got 25k kms on my Revos with 75% tread left when I sold them.

Have you tried the magic service improving phrase - "Lemon Aid Law"
Not familiar with the law as we don't have same in Canada but others can chime in..
We have this law in Canada, its just not very well known and not very easy to prove in court as you have to prove that the seller knew of the problem when the vehicle was sold. Ignorance seems to trump the courts here...(i.e. "as is, where is").

·
on line
4,434 Posts

I do figure C every oil change/5k miles.

edit:

I will actually be doing figure G since i now have a matching spare:

If your tire has a directional tread pattern, then you can't do anything but rotate them from front to rear.

I definately DO NOT recommend rotating the spare tire in the mix. All you'll do there is wear out 5 good tires and not just 4. I've never noticed any appreciable increase in treadlife when rotating the spare tire in the mix.

Also, the spare doesn't have a TPMS sensor installed.

Dealer checking the alignment: Just because they say it is within spec, doesn't mean that its a good alignment. You want a 4 way thrust alignment, and you may indeed need to get the camber bolts installed to get it properly aligned, even though you don't have a lift.

·
on line
14,627 Posts
I take issue with this statement.
GPZGUY
I definitely DO NOT recommend rotating the spare tire in the mix. All you'll do there is wear out 5 good tires and not just 4. I've never noticed any appreciable increase in tread life when rotating the spare tire in the mix.
The wear for the spare should be approximately the same as the tire it replaces. This will be achieved when it is in the rotation pattern. A brand new tire will not be the same height or have the same rotational diameter as a worn spare. Other considerations are lack of tire cover affecting UV wear. Under truck mount with rubbing wear on the side wall. The spare ideally should be a match to the tire tread pattern of the current set of tires. All of this goes to drive train wear.

On another note I have 6 MT's I will rotate them into a pattern of 6. I will get even wear out of all of them.So if I have to change one on the trail it will be approximately the same as the one replaced. 4 wheel drive vehicles should consider these points.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts