Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, lurker here. I'm debating buying a 2010 Xterra with 208k miles and I've been reading and reading and reading and reading everything I can find on here.

My question specifically is, can anyone confirm this? This is the only place I've seen this before and if its true, then I am in luck.

"If the timing chains have been done already there will be a visible gray sealant around the timing case cover. "

It is from post #13 in this thread. Timing Chain Noise Identification

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Hello all, lurker here. I'm debating buying a 2010 Xterra with 208k miles and I've been reading and reading and reading and reading everything I can find on here.

My question specifically is, can anyone confirm this? This is the only place I've seen this before and if its true, then I am in luck.

"If the timing chains have been done already there will be a visible gray sealant around the timing case cover. "

It is from post #13 in this thread. Timing Chain Noise Identification

Thanks in advance.
I went and looked for you - as I have one that they have been done on, and one that has not. They both have RTV around the covers - so I guess the factory isn't perfect at dispensing it either. If anything the factory one is sloppier than the repaired one.

Having said that, I thought the chains were upgraded in 2009 - so you may not need them anyway. However nothing lasts forever, so 200K might be time - listen for the whine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Having said that, I thought the chains were upgraded in 2009 - so you may not need them anyway. However nothing lasts forever, so 200K might be time - listen for the whine.
For the most part, the timing chain issue was fixed by 2010 however, there are outliers like mine (2012, guides went at 115k and chain was stretched). They're not common, but they do happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and looked for you - as I have one that they have been done on, and one that has not. They both have RTV around the covers - so I guess the factory isn't perfect at dispensing it either. If anything the factory one is sloppier than the repaired one.

Thank you for your efforts checking for me.

For the most part, the timing chain issue was fixed by 2010 however, there are outliers like mine (2012, guides went at 115k and chain was stretched). They're not common, but they do happen.
I couldn't find any documentation about the timing chains being fixed for 2010, do you mind directing me?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
2nd, no whine, not an issue for now.

The only ways to be certain the chain was done are documentation or blatant evidence of a botched job. Short of that you are guessing.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
916 Posts
It really depends on how much RTV anyone redoing the chains used, and what color. Factory is grey. Mine had some squished out here and there from the factory. I used ultra black.
It didnt' squish out, where i see it noticeably. I used the specified amount.
Maybe if I inspected all around the case and under near the upper oil pan.
However, I would look for tool marks on the timing case bolts, and where someone would have tried to separate the case. (there are small indentations meant to use a non marring tool to separate the case)

At that mileage you would think it's either been done or hadn't needed it done so far, just listen for the whine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts