Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where exactly where the evap canister is located on a 2005 Xterra please? Specifically the evap canister valve. I’ve looked everywhere for schematics but to no avail. The challenging part is I don’t have the vehicl here in hand, I’m trying to walk my nephew through replacing the evap valve 14920 while he is 3 hours away at college in a parking lot with limited tools (except his friends, they are all tools) but this is keeping him from passing state inspection to come home otherwise I would have it apart in my garage right now. Where it is, what’s involved to access it, etc? It seems easy to replace just the valve, I just need to convey this to a 19 year old with little wrench experience. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Can he get to it without taking anything apart or what needs to be removed to access the valve? I read the rear tire needs to come off, the fender well, rear quarter, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! What a pain in the ass. After realizing I either needed a plasma cutter or smaller hands, an hour later I finally got the old one out. I advise Some lube wd40 on that O ring on the new one to get it seated. What a horrible design. Yeah it was exactly where you guys said it would but almost impossible to get a hand in there. I also advise anyone with an Xterra showing P0455 to set the vehicle on fire and put it in drive on a long straight journey and jump out of the way. Hey hanks again for the help!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks! Can he get to it without taking anything apart or what needs to be removed to access the valve? I read the rear tire needs to come off, the fender well, rear quarter, etc.
He'll need to remove the plastic wheel well liner, and drop the spare tire. Before he goes to the expense of replacing the valve, have him remove the canister, blow it out with compressed air, clean the valve out really good and put it back together. More often than not, the evap canister is full of dust and the valve is sticking because of dust. It took me a couple hours to do mine back in March and I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, drop the spare. This only got better. I forgot to mention, the nephew has lost his jack tools and didn’t know how to drop the spare and lacked the tools to do so. Now you know why I needed bandage on the hand that was in the void between frame and bumper step trying to reach the valve.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Oh, drop the spare. This only got better. I forgot to mention, the nephew has lost his jack tools and didn’t know how to drop the spare and lacked the tools to do so. Now you know why I needed bandage on the hand that was in the void between frame and bumper step trying to reach the valve.
FWIW, When I bought my X, the tools for the spare were broken, so I feel your pain there. I found them on Amazon for ~$20. If that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for the tips. I guess I should hook him up in case he does need to change wheels on the road. What exactly should I search for on Amazon? Is it a kit of some sort?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.