Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on and it's code P0448. I had it cleaned out once but a week of driving warning light came back. My mechanic said if light returns I need to have my canister replaced along with the valve, at the tune of $750.00. That seems high but I live in Jackson Hole, WY where every thing is expensive. Is this price excessive or about right?
I am also leaving on a 1,000 mile trip end of this week. I assume it's better to get this fixed before my travels, or can I get away with out fixing it till I get back?

·
Registered
228 Posts
In my opinion...

$750 is probably about right for labor and parts to have a shop replace the canister and valve.

On the otherhand...

I had the same code in Sept. I believe that the main function of the valve is to reduce fuel fumes being released to the atmosphere, but it isn't an impending failure of your fuel system or engine. After a few weeks, I finally purchased a replacement valve at NAPA (~$70) and just replaced the valve myself. There was a lot of cussing to be heard getting to the top of the canister. I used this thread by Sproatlake (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75314) as a guide to get to the valve. I cleared the code after replacing the valve, and I've been good for 2 months.
:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on man, I could probably do this myself but I don't have access to a garage, and for that matter time. Do you think I would be ok to drive it 500 miles and have it replaced? I can save some money, but I don't want to take a big chance.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
When the purge valve is removed, wearing a mask you must blow compressed air into center hole in canister... the dust will fly out of the purge valve hole. Also tap it gently to loosen dust
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I've been driving my rig with the purge valve shooting a code for months. I've cleaned it out previously but when I take it into the mud off road it comes back. Poor location of canister on Nissan's part. It doesn't effect drivability or performance at all, that I've noticed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts