Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there guys, I know somewhere there are threads about this, and I've searched for about 1.5 hours here and haven't gotten very far, so I'm enlisting some help.

I have mud/dirt/stuff in my evap canister/filter whatever it is. the box from hell. Now I have it unbolted and all that but I'm slowly having to admit defeat and take the plastic rear fender piece out. now. Don't flame me on this, but how the heck am I supposed to get that piece off? I can only find a snap clip and one screw. Are the rest buried? Do I have to be stretch armstrong to reach the others? Granted it's basically dark out and I have about 0 vis but it's stumped me. Also If this doesnt work i'm planning on just cutting the hose for the gas line and stuffing an aquarium filter in it, so at least I can put gas in my ride without it overflowing, been runnning the code for 2.5 years now and nothing's gone wrong.

It just reached a point where it got too bad to put up with (putting gas in at a ridiculously slow rate) but I figured before I cut the tube i'd take the thing apart and see what kind of macgyver solution I could try before, see if I could fix the valve/filter for good, just for fun.
Anyways. help getting the panel(s) off? no ridicule, I have no idea how the hell bodywork works...

A whole "how to fix this for good on a ten dollar budget" thread is pending....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know how to remove it - however someone rear ended me many years ago with a small fender bender. However - long story short - my evap canister went a few months later throwing a code and Service Engine Soon Light came on - I let it sit like that for a 2.5 years as well. I then finally gave in and got it repaired. They found a small hairline crack in the canister and did a R/R on it. Make sure you get a Nissan part and not aftermarket as I was informed they go bad easily. My gas mileage improved greatly with a new one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as it stands with the old one being ****ed and my gas mileage being great.... I'm not sure I want a new one at all. I'd rather have it gone, seeing as the next time I find a creek or some mud it'll bust again, starting the whole shenanigans again.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So I had this same crap happen to me on my 06 and while I did get it all working again, I totaled it shortly after so who knows if it woulda stayed good?

I did feel pretty good about it though, here's what I did:

I yanked the rear tire, the spare, the rear corner and the liner out (should be a few screws and a few clips). I pulled the valve, canister, and the pressure sensor out of the canister. Next I blew several tanks of air through each port on the canister with a rag and an air nozzle to make sure you are really getting in there well (big time dust cloud at this point). Then I hit the valve and the pressure sensor with a good dose of brake cleaner. Set everything out to dry/air out.

Next I went to work on stopping this from happening again. I'm thinking yours didn't come with a filter since Nissan didn't try that till later. Yours should be pulling air in through the frame rail with nothing stopping all that dust from hitting the valve first, the canister second and the pressure sensor last. Stupid design right? I ended up running some tube from the valve on the canister inside the frame rail and all the way out the back where I slammed a $10 valve cover breather on from AutoZone and done. Hides just inside the frame and would be easy to change every now and then.

Or spend the $80 or so for the crappy afterthought filter from Nissan, I was too cheap for that:eek:ccasion5:

Also, if you want to reuse the hoses that are there, make sure you check them for junk that could undo everything you just did. Good luck man.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too am to cheap for the filter! and in my thinking, I'm not sure it would do too well for being actually completely underwater... waterboarding your vehicle if you will. I was looking for a link of some how-to showing where the bolts/clips etc are located?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
So I had this same crap happen to me on my 06 and while I did get it all working again, I totaled it shortly after so who knows if it woulda stayed good?

I did feel pretty good about it though, here's what I did:

I yanked the rear tire, the spare, the rear corner and the liner out (should be a few screws and a few clips). I pulled the valve, canister, and the pressure sensor out of the canister. Next I blew several tanks of air through each port on the canister with a rag and an air nozzle to make sure you are really getting in there well (big time dust cloud at this point). Then I hit the valve and the pressure sensor with a good dose of brake cleaner. Set everything out to dry/air out.

Next I went to work on stopping this from happening again. I'm thinking yours didn't come with a filter since Nissan didn't try that till later. Yours should be pulling air in through the frame rail with nothing stopping all that dust from hitting the valve first, the canister second and the pressure sensor last. Stupid design right? I ended up running some tube from the valve on the canister inside the frame rail and all the way out the back where I slammed a $10 valve cover breather on from AutoZone and done. Hides just inside the frame and would be easy to change every now and then.

Or spend the $80 or so for the crappy afterthought filter from Nissan, I was too cheap for that:eek:ccasion5:

Also, if you want to reuse the hoses that are there, make sure you check them for junk that could undo everything you just did. Good luck man.
That's a great idea, I'm gonna do the same. No issues sence?

And the valve an sensor? Where are they located , inside that box?

I've only got the canister off by pulling the one hose out the frame and disconnecting the other hose from the box. I assume the valve ad sensor are in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's a great idea, I'm gonna do the same. No issues sence?

And the valve an sensor? Where are they located , inside that box?

I've only got the canister off by pulling the one hose out the frame and disconnecting the other hose from the box. I assume the valve ad sensor are in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Well, I only had a run or two on the new setup before I slammed it into a wall but seemed like it did the trick:scratch:

The valve and the sensor are on the top of the evap canister. Be VERY careful removing the sensor, it is really in there and not cheap if you kill it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if the fender liner has to come out first I suppose I could start there, then the rest might become more obvious....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
under the rear hatch? not sure what you mean but i got the one on the canister off, and will go ahead and giver on the others tomorrow! thanks for the help

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took everything apart, blew it all out, waterproofed it, and added a breather hose and filter for under 5$. how to coming as soon as I can figure out how to get the pics off my phone

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Pic would be awesome . I'm having the same issue. I have to fill it very slowly and I'm throwing a code. Any one have a part number for this thing?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The how to is up! check the how-to section. lots of info and pictures! it's really easy to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts