Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So my 2008 with 92k miles has been giving me problems within the last few days.

3 days ago she wouldn't start. Enging was turning over as normal but it wouldn't ignite. Pumping the gas pedal didn't help. After 2 5s attempts, she finally ignited on the 3rd and ran like normal.

Yesterday, same thing. Took me 3 attempts to get her ignited.

Today she fired up like normal.

Weird thing is no dash lights are coming on, no check engine, no nothing. It's as if she's out of gas but then ignites fine. (Gas is half full btw).

Once running, idle is rock solid, no dash lights nothing.

I feel like Hank Hill when his old truck wouldn't start randomly!

Any ideas? Fuel filter? Fouled spark plugs? (Neither have ever been changed)

Also, last month the camshaft sensor went out and I replaced it myself. But that was a hard start with the typical dash lights and SES light. Replaced and all that went away. 1 month later having this issue. Not sure if they are connected but I don't think they are.

Anyway, long post but anyone have had this problem before or have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well there's the normal recommended maintenance at 90k all fluids and spark plugs! Cleaning the MAF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there's the normal recommended maintenance at 90k all fluids and spark plugs! Cleaning the MAF
Yeah I was going to start with the spark plugs. Regular maintenence is 108k miles for them I believe. Was trying to get away with another 15k miles but I guess it's time to dabble.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Did you replace both camshaft sensors? I’ve read that there are three sensors that can make your truck die all of a sudden. Camshaft sensor bank 1, camshaft sensor bank 2 and crankshaft sensor.

Did the truck throw any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you replace both camshaft sensors? I’ve read that there are three sensors that can make your truck die all of a sudden. Camshaft sensor bank 1, camshaft sensor bank 2 and crankshaft sensor.

Did the truck throw any codes?

Replaced just bank 1 and it cleared all the previous codes. When not starting now it's not throwing any codes. Been day 5 now and past 2 days no starting troubles.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Replaced just bank 1 and it cleared all the previous codes. When not starting now it's not throwing any codes. Been day 5 now and past 2 days no starting troubles.
You might one to check out Albatross's thread. He had the same problem and his replacement only lasted him 800 miles. I would go OEM for those type of parts knowing how finicky our Xterra's are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might one to check out Albatross's thread. He had the same problem and his replacement only lasted him 800 miles. I would go OEM for those type of parts knowing how finicky our Xterra's are.

Hmm

Problem is it's not a hard start like it was when the sensor completely died. When sensor went kaput it was a very rough start but would start if cranking for 4-5s. And it would throw the usual dash lights for a killed sensor.

This time it just won't start at all. Happenef again today. Cranked it twice for 6s, nothing. 3rd crank it started immediately. 3rd one was not a hard start at all.

It seems like fuel is not getting into the engine or the plugs are not igniting the fuel.

Going to take it in to a buddy's shop and see if there are pending codes without dash lights coming on. And probably start replacing the spark plugs and see if it's still an issue.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Did you check the obvious... the battery? Make sure all terminals are free of corrosion and that the terminals are tight?

Mine was acting like that and it turned out to be an old battery. You never know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts