Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
two weeks ago, I purchased a 2007 Xterra model S 4x4 auto. I have a question about rpms in relation to engine wear...

I like to drive at a reasonable speed, accelerating slowly, usually not exceeding 3,000 rpms. I am this way because want my engine to run smoothly, and last.

However, yesterday, I let my girlfriend drive the truck home, and since she drives a small car, with a weak, underpowered engine, she was not used to the gas pedal, and how powerful the engine is in my truck. Anyway, she at one point got the truck to 5,000 rpms. Is this bad? It was only that once. I am worried about what it says in the manual, about the engine "break-in" period, about not exceeding 4,000 rpms. Has this damaged my truck?

I notice no odd sounds, or rough starts, so I assume it's okay, but I just want to make sure. It's one of those things where I'd like to hear it from someone else.

Thank you.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
There are many thoughts about engine break in. I feel that as long as the vehicle was at operating temperature you should be fine. I have broken mine in by driving the first 1000 miles as recommended and then driving it like it will be driven. I don't baby my vehicles and I have never had one with engine problems due to wear. My last vehicle I sold with 230000 miles on it and no internal engine repairs. The biggest thing that you can do is keep up on the maintenance, change the fluids regularly and not neglect the vehicle.

·
on line
71 Posts
sfit88 said:
Anyway, she at one point got the truck to 5,000 rpms. Is this bad? It was only that once.
No, it is not "bad", and in fact you will never see any negative effect from what has happened.

As well, if you rev the engine to 5K RPM once a day, you will never see any negative effect from operating it in that manner.

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, thanks a lot.

I really appreciate the input

I was basically sure about it, but I'm not a very mechanic savvy person, so I kind of had this bad feeling about it in my gut, but thank you!

·
on line
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, nah, there was no trouble with the GF at all, so no worries there.

Yes, I have put some thought into it about just getting a boat of a sedan, but I love my Xterra, and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

·
on line
551 Posts
05yellowx said:
When i bought my truck first day i had it i drove it as if it were stolen , i am at 26k and she runs strong
rM
Same here. The way I figured it, was if something was gonna break, then I'd rather it break under warranty. So far so good, but only 1300 on it.

·
on line
13 Posts
5,000 once? I do that at least once or twice a DAY! I can't help it, it's just so much damn fun to let that thing rip! And I have done this since the day I got it... last Wednesday!! :bounce: From everything I have read it is actually the best way to break in a vehicle, get it up to operating temp (very important) and give it the juice! This seats everything quick and provides the best seal - or so I have read. Made sense to me.

I love this truck!! :cheers:

·
on line
623 Posts
i redline mine every now and then..... no big deal, else they wouldn't have it :geek:

btw, when i bought my X new, it had 180 miles on the odometer. not sure if it was a show or just being driven around by the bum dealer folks..... is that normal to have that many miles on a new car?
________
Web shows

·
on line
1,479 Posts
mine had about 300 that is bc they drove it to my delearship from another one a 200 mile trip. so it already had 100.

·
on line
255 Posts
Hard to say what is normal.

It can be nice to buy a vehicle with almost zero miles on it because you know how it has been driven from the start, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better in the long run than one with a couple of hundred on it.

It's too late now anyway. Hard to know for sure where the miles came from. Reasonable test drives or crazy daughter of the dealer borrowing it for the weekend. Our X had 18, but we put another 40 on it during our first test drive. The last Jeep we bought we put close to 100 on it during 2 test drives.

We also bought a Jeep that was a buy back because of purportedly bad brakes, suspension, etc. so it had a few thousand on it. Only a few months old and still under new car warranty. We never had a problem with it, including no brake or suspension problems. Drove it across country, lived in a cabin in ID mtns., no paved roads. Multiple trips to the ocean from Idaho through the OR and NV desert. Worked it really hard...just kept up normal ma....and had zero problems. Totally dependable.

We bought a Ford truck with, as I recall, less than 10 miles on it, when we first test drove it. Beautiful, fully loaded truck and it drove great for a few hundred miles and then we had one problem after another. Never could get things right.

So, get the oil changed, keep up the ma., don't worry and, most important, ENJOY IT!

·
on line
616 Posts
Mine had 12 miles and the plastic on it when I bought it off the lot. And I regularly test the rev limiter on mine. It definitely has some juice left beyond the redline.

-Old Army

·
on line
13 Posts
I am kind of glad mine wasn't the only one with some mileage on it when I bought it. Ours had 240kms (150 miles) on it when we picked it up. Dealer told me they were "bringing" it to the dealership and silly me I assumed that meant on a truck, but no they drove it.

·
on line
358 Posts
My wife drives a new Subaru Legacy, nice car. It has an auto in it and when I drive it will shift at redline when you push it. The mfgr makes it that way so it can't be that bad for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts