Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i did the oil change on my 07 s 4x4. Fist time i had to swap the filter, long story. anyhow, i quickly realized that once you undo the filter, you have one big oil mess that doesn't seem to ever clean up without first taking the whole bloody skid off. So, i went at it and undid all 8 fasteners and took the plate off minding which went where:

as i remember:

4 thin machine screws that are long as crap:
2 went into the holes on the very back of the skid towards the back of the truck.
2 went in the two holes on the front of the skid, one on each side, outermoist two holes.......

4 fat screws:
they go in the skid in the front in 4 holes that are recessed and the bumber has 4 round cutouts so that you can stick a tool up there to remove/install them...

my problem is this.....
i installed the 2 back screws easy, they just got snug and that's it.
that's cool
i installed the two inner-most fat screws easy and they snugged up.
that's cool

problem:::::
the other 2 fat screws went in the other two big holes used to access the receased holes towards the front of the skid and the other 2 machine screws went into the holes on the very ends towards the front of the skid.....

they never snug down. they just turn and turn it seems... wtf????

so, if anybody can go out, get under their front bumper, and try to tighten the two end screws that fasten the skid to the bumber to see if it turns, and keeps turning, i'd be much obliged.....

i do remember me using the phillips screw headed (referred to before as fat screw) screws on the two outer ends 1/2 way before i realized that the machine screws went there... but i can't see why the two other holes are not getting snug..... is this normal? if not, can i replace the nylon fittings if that's what they are on the skid??? i can't remember if all the screws screw into fitting pushed into holes on the skid or not, if so, be easy to just swap if i did in fact strip 4 holes out. i can't see my doing this though...

thanks..

·
on line
551 Posts
If I recall, I had the same thing happen with those two bolts.
Seems they reach a stop point and if you go past they just spin.
I believe I undid them and then rescrewed them in till just barely tight

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Same thing for me, I noticed on mine that the threads got stripped or damaged at the point where the screw would get tight. But once it's on, it
shouldn't loosen on its own b/c the screw is kinda 'locked' in and will only spin
at the damaged section of the threads.

·
on line
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotcha...

seems crappy to me..... i wonder if the "nuts" that the screws go into are easily replaceable and cheap. I seem to remember seeing a few white press nuts (if that's what you can call them) on the skid when i took it off. I think I will take it off quick this morning and look. I am off to the beach to test the 4x4 in sand and don't want any surprises and am just curious if those nut things are easily replacebale. I don't remember if some are in the bumper hidden or if they are all attached to the skid and the bumper just attached between the screw head and the but on the skid.....

-Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts