Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed my temp guage at idle was only a quarter of the way up the guage. This was after it had been sitting for 15 minutes. After driving for another 20 minutes the temp guage bottomed out. I still have hot air out of the vents, but not scorching like it usually is. I checked coolant levels and they are fine. I checked my fan clutch and my fan spins freely with no resistance no matter how long the engine is running. If I had a bad fan clutch I would think I would be overheating. Also I don't hear the fan kick on initially when the engine starts either. Any thoughts would be awesome.

Note: I just replaced the thermostat last month.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,251 Posts
You just replaced the tstat - likely something related to that. First - coolant level. Then check tstat, especially if it's not oem. I wouldn't worry much about the fan until I satisfied myself on those two items.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Are you sure - because your temperature gauge is more or less an idiot light. It goes to pre determined positions by the ECU based on the actual temp. Get a OBD2 app or reader that reads engine temp - most that read real time parameters will - and learn what the actual temp is. Go from there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was under the impression temp guages were based off from voltage or resistance values read from the temp sensors? Doesn't the ecm just take values from the sensor and convert them Into data the IPC can understand?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I was under the impression temp guages were based off from voltage or resistance values read from the temp sensors? Doesn't the ecm just take values from the sensor and convert them Into data the IPC can understand?
That's not my understanding, not that I have never been wrong before of course :ROFLMAO: My understanding is it sends limited data to the gauge to send the gauge to a position. I have observed mine on OBD2 at warm up between about 160 and 195 at idle and the gauge never moves. If it were me, I would verify it with an OBD reader. But of course that's just me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts