Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the the intro section, I picked up an 07 last year with 135000 km on it. For my oldest son. It's been a great truck until now. Did the smod mod until I got a new rad & regular maintenance etc. BUT I didn't do enough research and missed the potential issues with cats trashing a cylinder.

To make along story short, I had some cat codes. reset them a few times. Then was told by my neighbour to just run the cheater spacer! I hadn't heard of that so thought it was an OK idea. Codes still did eventually come back but it was running fine.................. until my son drove the bag off it one night and it got a P301. Didn't think much of it, cleared it, vehicle seemed to run fine. Then on a recent camping trip we took two vehicles as we had extra kids along. The boys fell behind as one had to take a leak. On the attempt to catch back up, the dumbasses wound it out and according to the younger brother, @ 160 kph she developed a sudden rattle & miss, P0300 code and would barely run (note this intel was gathered after the fact, and some fatherly discipline and consequences have been handed out) It was then limped 40 km back to the nearest truck stop.

Fast forward a few days as I do some more digging and realize I might actually have a serious issue and it might be cat caused. I then pick up the vehicle, get it to the dealer as I wanted a quick diagnosis as I hoped it was maybe coil packs or other electrical and not a bad cylinder. Turns out I got 90 psi on #1 and 120 psi on the rest. They also scoped # 1 and said there was visible scoring on the cylinder walls. So after more reading and thinking I figured I had two options.
1) gut the cats, new PCV, add some Engine Restore & Sea foam. New plugs all around and coil pack on #1 - try it and hope & pray for the best and maybe get through the winter
2) new to me Engine

As I was gearing up to do #1 I came across an engine out of an 09 that had been broad sided. 138000 kms, $1200 and 45 day warranty. Screw it, let's see if we can fix it properly. I'm getting the engine Thursday.

So that's where I'm at. But before I drop in the new mill I figure I should do some preventative maintenance at this point while it's easy. So here's what I was thinking
Plugs
PCV
New Primary & Secondary Cats
New 02 Sensors
Clean MAF
New valve cover gaskets
Timing chain - I'm on the fence, inspect it or just do it?

Any other suggestions? Note I'm hoping this get's his arse through 4 years of college!
If you got this far, thanks and look forward to the comments. Thx

·
Registered
76 Posts
I replaced my engine about 2 years back. I replaced the water pump on the new engine. I wasn't sure if any seals dried out and it's a real bear to replace in the vehicle as it's accessed through a cover on the timing chain cover. There is a video on youtube about doing the valve cover gaskets. There's a couple corners that you need to put some rtv for a proper seal. I also replaced the hose that runs through the engine valley as it's vastly easier before the swap.

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
47 Posts
I had to swap my motor when I bought mine. Mine is an 06, so I had to swap a few sensors too, but I resealed my motor along with new timing set.
While the motor is out, it is really easy to replace the timing set. At least check the chain guides.
It is also really easy to replace crank and cam sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I just did the seal behind the Oil Filter Carrier as that was leaking in the old engine. So I think I'll do that to............ Guess I'll do the timing set too then. The body is fairly good so I'm hoping we can just mile this this out eventually and keep it a long time.

Any particular aftermarket timing chain kit to go with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
47 Posts
I found an oem kit, with updated parts, on amazon for $180.
Rockauto.com has some good kits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you do the chain make sure to lock the flywheel so the crank won't rotate when breaking the sprocket bolt free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good call, firing it up outta time would not be cool! Kind of hard on valves when they smack the top of the piston....... :) One of things I would have thought of after the fact

·
Registered
76 Posts
The worst part of doing the chain is cleaning the surfaces that get the rtv. I used bamboo skewers. The timing chain cover has 2 alignment pins that to be aware of when prying the cover off so they don't get broken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, see them, Thanks. I'm just surprised that they use RTV on so many surfaces instead of proper gaskets or seals. Cheaper that way for them I guess. I'll pick me up some Ultra Black and away I go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my new engine I removed the spark plugs and used a bore scope and checked all the valves and cylinder walls. Already had the bore scope so it didn't cost me anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, picked up the engine at lunch, no opportunity to get a leak down or compression test as it was pulled from a wrecked xterra. Broadside TBone. I like the bore scope idea, it's one of those tools I've liked to get but never have. So amazon it is! (all though I hate Bezos!) $36, 5 Mega Pixel. Connects to your phone........... pretty good reviews, hope the damn thing works! Engine will be on the stand this weekend and will start going through it. Need to get my RockAuto list ordered as well. Will updated this thread as I go as I'm sure there will be questions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used my cheap amazon bore scope and checked the cylinder walls and valves before installation. Stuck it through spark plug holes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm going to assume this engine is mechanically ok, (but will scope this weekend) so I've gone ahead and ordered the following from Rockauto
  • primary cats (walker) will probably just knock out the secondary cats
  • full set of O2 sensors (primary & secondary)
  • water pump
  • coil packs (already picked up plugs)
  • crank sensor
  • cam sensors
  • MAF sensor

Note I used the best non OEM I could for the most part, Hitachi and the like. I'll do the Timing Chain, but will order OEM. Working on that list now. Found a really great reference thread for the OEM parts over at nicolcub

The hope is that most of the standard sensors will now be new and we can put a few years into this thing without a bunch more fixing! Working on this thing is starting to cut into my fall hunting plans!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts