Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this...

Now that 2nd gen X's have been on the road since 2005, anyone have any comments on long term reliability?

My point is simple, my 2005 is nearing 120kms or 7400 miles, should I start expecting problems on the engine?

Is the rest of the truck generally still reliable at this point?

I havent done any serious off-roading, just a lot of dirt/logging roads to and from fishing and hunting spots - and lots of highway. The clutch was replaced about 7 months ago (my bad zero-traction skills at work!!).

Other than that the truck is in good shape, no rust, just a few scrapes and bruises.

Any thoughts?

This is my first Nissan so I have NO experience -

·
on line
707 Posts
If there is one thing that has always seemed to be reliable on Nissans its the engines and the VQ series especially. I am only about 37K though so can't say much beyond what I have read.

·
on line
750 Posts
46K here and purrs like a kitten. I've had two previous Nissan pickups with the Z-24 engine and they ran fantastic well into the 170K mark. Nissan is well known for the reliability of their motors.

·
on line
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the kind of off-roading I mentioned - fire/logging trails - is the suspension something to be worried about?

Should I consider beefing up shocks and springs before getting armour??

Also, about the units - when you say 62k miles for example, you mean 6200m miles, correct?....

·
on line
366 Posts
gonefishin said:
With the kind of off-roading I mentioned - fire/logging trails - is the suspension something to be worried about?

Also, about the units - when you say 62k miles for example, you mean 6200m miles, correct?....
Well, I snapped my front shock doing some sort of off roading (not sure when it happened exactly) I drove around on it for several weeks at least before noticing something was wrong, lol. I'd say don't worry about the suspension until it breaks, then fix it. :) If/when it does it'd be a good opportunity to upgrade it instead of just replacing the stock stuff.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
gonefishin said:

Yeah, I'm over 62,000 miles!

·
on line
30 Posts
Nissan's engines are notorious for running a long time as any Asian product is. The things you run into with these trucks are the minor issues that go along with any vehicle. I have had pulley problems worked on twice. Other than that no other real problems. Everything is still original except for the aftermarket upgrades and the tires. Brakes are still good to go too. Some people have problems with Differentials. I use my X for all purpose. I camp often and hit trails occasionally. Also pull a pop up camper and a scissor lift at work on occasion. It is truly a reliable all purpose vehicle

·
on line
443 Posts
have 65k on my 05 and it is like new...fuel management on the other hand needs to be repaired. lol

·
on line
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I've had a few issues with the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on - apparently once some sensor got knocked when another repair was being made, then another time, when the sensor was replaced, dirt got into it somehow....

The dealer assured me all was repaired, and again last night, the damn light came on. Cant say why - gas cap is tight, tank is 2/3 full....

We'll see

·
on line
1,792 Posts
gonefishin said:
Yeah, I've had a few issues with the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on - apparently once some sensor got knocked when another repair was being made, then another time, when the sensor was replaced, dirt got into it somehow....

The dealer assured me all was repaired, and again last night, the damn light came on. Cant say why - gas cap is tight, tank is 2/3 full....

We'll see
A couple of recent threads discuss SES light and evap canister getting clogged because of an unfiltered vent in the driver's rear wheelwell. Dust gets in there. Suspect this problem, given what you do. Let the dealer know ther's a TSB. Search it here.

On the suspension. I started seriously upgrading when I went loaded, with a bumper and winch, and just didn't get the feeling the truck could really handle it stock. For what I was doing, it just wasn't gonna work. If the suspension feels OK for what you do, hey, if it ain't broke...

·
on line
17 Posts
96,000 and engine runs, sounds like new. Problems i have had
Bad front propeller shaft 30,000
Replaced rear passenger side seal on axle 50,000
Fuel sending unit has been bad since 40,000. Use odometer for gas gauge
Have rattle from driver side engine compartment - cant find
Good things
Have not replaced
Brakes
Muffler
Spark plugs
Windshield wipers
Have not done any of the recomended service 30, 60, 90
All and all the X has been a very reliable vehicle and i have no complaints

·
on line
14,014 Posts
wood said:
96,000 and engine runs, sounds like new. Problems i have had
Bad front propeller shaft 30,000
Replaced rear passenger side seal on axle 50,000
Fuel sending unit has been bad since 40,000. Use odometer for gas gauge
Have rattle from driver side engine compartment - cant find
Good things
Have not replaced
Brakes
Muffler
Spark plugs
Windshield wipers
Have not done any of the recomended service 30, 60, 90
All and all the X has been a very reliable vehicle and i have no complaints
Wow, 96k and I thought I drove a lot! Though I would be kinda hesitant to not have done ANY of the service intervals. I'm assuming you check your stuff regularly, though?

·
on line
45 Posts
I have just under 76,000 on my 2006 S and she runs like a dream. I had to replace the fuel sending unit, gauge control module (don't remember exactly what it's called) and did the normal service interval stuff. I am in outside sales so the miles are almost entirely highway. I still have my stock brakes with no issues. Those damned BFG AT's I put on around 10K are holding up remarkably! I just can't seem to wear them out!

·
on line
155 Posts
BioTerra said:
I've had two previous Nissan pickups with the Z-24 engine and they ran fantastic well into the 170K mark. Nissan is well known for the reliability of their motors.
Same here BioTerra. I had an 87' Nissan Hardbody pickup and i got 300k miles out of that motor and trans with no rebuild. That Z-24i engine was amazing! I remember when I'd go to Kragen to get the sparkplugs the counter guys would look at me funny when I asked for eight of them. Haha! Damn thing was bulletproof.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts