Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
A loose heatshield on your exhaust may not be your problem, but it's not uncommon.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Crank your X and confirm the noise is present at that moment.
Turn off your X
Remove your serpentine belt and recrank your X
(Dont let it run more than a short time to determine if you hear the noise)
Reinstall your belt

This will help you determine if the noise is associated with your engine, or one of the driven accessories.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Doesn't sound like a heat shield to me. Sounds internal. Good idea tho to remove the belt and see what it sounds like. Like @Just a Hunter said, if the sound is gone then it's either a pulley or the associated component. Just don't let it overheat (pretty sure the water pump doesn't spin without the belt installed).

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
306 Posts
Sounds like chain guides. What year, and how many miles on this?
Don't delay getting this repaired, you don't want that chain skipping a few teeth.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Dodged a bullet.
There were a few possibilities which would have been rather expensive to repair.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did pulling the belt off work? Just curious if anyone actually takes us up on that suggestion.
I didn't tried; the sound got louder and I was just inspecting again. Found the belt tensioner dancing and truck stalling.
Removed the belt and turned each pulley and found the alternator pulley was almost seized. Driving with that broke the belt tensioner (Damn, it's $190 for the tensioner here, I should have towed it to the garage).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts