Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here it is, my 07 pings with low grade gas 87 and 89.With 91 octane it seems to go away 91 being the highest here in Arizona.The only engine mod done is a k&n drop in filter 78000 miles on it.Anyone out there had this problem and actually fixed it;HELP thanks! Already did intake cleanse with relearns.Idles at 650-675 lots of power no codes as of yet.Strange thing as of today ,went up to prescot 5300 ft elevation the ping seemed to lessen.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I might get flamed for this, but have you tried some seafoam? I had an engine ping real bad, put about 1/3 can into the brake booster (sucked it into the intake, thus into the cylinders), turned her off and waited, when I fired it back up there was tons of smoke and the ping went away. It was a bunch of carbon built up in the cylinders.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I seafoamed, have used it in the past with good results.did it last night smoked the whole neighborhood.one of my neighbors actualy thought I blew the motor.maybe that's why it seemed not to ping up north.but once I got back down to the lower elevation,pingo

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Let me guess - you've been driving all summer with the windows up and now that it's cooler, the windows are down and you were driving next to a wall or something and noticed that under part throttle, you had very light pinging. That's exactly what happened to me.

I'm not sure how the knock sensors work on this engine. It may be that they only retard timing once the knock is significant enough to tell the computer "Hey, we're pinging. Back the timing off." How "significant" the knock has to be is a mystery to me. I'm sure some Nissan enginerd knows the answer.

As to whether or not it is harmful - I doubt it. I've heard real BAD pinging before and know that there's a huge difference between the light pinging I have and piston destroying detonation. Increasing the octane of your fuel will eventually reduce or eliminate the pinging, but at what cost? I don't notice any pinging if I either let off the throttle a little, or give it more throttle. It seems to only occur under light load, slow acceleration, lower speed (20 - 40 mph) conditions. My guess is that Nissan had to contend with fuel mileage and emissions with this engine and the stock fuel map is just a tad lean with just a touch too much timing under these conditions. Now that you've got some carbon build up in the combustion chamber, it produces the ping.

I haven't seen a before and after study of how much products like Seafoam affect carbon residue, so I can't say if they do "enough" to reduce the problem. It's cheap enough to try it if you're that concerned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your input,and yes there seems to be a range; hard throttle vs slow take off.Its not a constant, but using 87 octane sure does contribute to the problem.Im going to try a different drop in filter a non oiled one;AEM dryflow pn:28-20286 to see if the k&n effects the mass air sensor thus contributing to the pinging?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don't worry, what you are describing is normal. Light pre-ignition is not dangerous to the motor and the timing is set up to burn as much fuel as possible and a side effect is the computer allows light pre-ignition (Pinging). My X has always done that and I've had her for 7 years now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question is does this contribute to the premature primary cat failures and if so how?Some members have had this cat failure with supposedly no ses or codes showing.This is all im really concerned about.If there is something I could do to insure the soundness of my motor I wont hesitate.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Detonation CAN affect your cats, but minor ping probably won't. But I would still try to fix it. Try cleaning the TB, make sure all your sensors are clean (specifically the MAF sensor), check the condition of the spark plugs to make sure they are properly gapped, wearing normally, etc. That said, I have driven cars that would lightly ping under load no matter what, and it didn't seem to affect things.

Pinging, or knock, is due to preignition or faster than normal burning of fuel in the cylinders. Higher octane fuel resists knock because it is slightly less volatile, i.e. burns more slowly. Incidentally, that is also why your pinging got better when you drove to Prescott- the higher elevation reduced the amount of oxygen per stroke slightly, making the fuel burn slightly slower, reducing the ping you heard. Gas doesn't need as much octane at higher altitude due to the reduced partial pressure of oxygen in the air. However, high performance engines use higher octane to prevent knock and extract more power at higher compression ratios.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I run the 93 octane tune off the bullydog, and when I adjusted the timing to +1 or +2 I heard a slight amount of pinging. I also run the k&n drop in filter so I wonder if that may have something to do with it? I wonder if cleaning the maf with some maf cleaner would make it go away? I've heard of other people running +2 degres of timing and not having issues.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
When I had my fuel pump changed out, for some reason it was pinging really bad when I got it back. The foreman dumped a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank and the pinging went away in about 50 miles. Not sure what the issue was I assumed it was either stirred up water or crap in the bottom of the tank.

I would try a cleaner or dry gas see what that does.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
When I had my fuel pump changed out, for some reason it was pinging really bad when I got it back. The foreman dumped a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank and the pinging went away in about 50 miles. Not sure what the issue was I assumed it was either stirred up water or crap in the bottom of the tank.

I would try a cleaner or dry gas see what that does.
Ok good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
thanks for your input,and yes there seems to be a range; hard throttle vs slow take off.Its not a constant, but using 87 octane sure does contribute to the problem.Im going to try a different drop in filter a non oiled one;AEM dryflow pn:28-20286 to see if the k&n effects the mass air sensor thus contributing to the pinging?
Save your money and buy an AC Delco air filter... There's a thread here about air filters that links to an air filter test. It's worth a read. Plus, being in AZ, you need to filter out the fine dust we have. A standard paper filter, changed regularly does the best at removing fine dust.

I'm a bit concerned about what you wrote - "hard throttle vs slow take off". Are you saying that you have more pinging under heavy throttle and at low speeds?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At easy take off at the light no ping;a little heavy take off it pings momentarily.I went to the local auto parts to see if theyre scan tool could read a problem but since theres no code lights ? nothing shows

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
At easy take off at the light no ping;a little heavy take off it pings momentarily.I went to the local auto parts to see if theyre scan tool could read a problem but since theres no code lights ? nothing shows
Definitely load induced. How short is momentarily?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts