Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Engine Issues

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jard 
#1 ·
If you would so kindly, look at my list of issues and give me some sort of idea on what it may be. Before I take it to a mechanic. The issues don't make much sense to me because they came out of nowhere
2008 Xterra 4WD Auto, ~120,000 miles
Just came back from a 1000 mile round trip drive

It definitely is due for an oil change in about 2000 miles, but I can't imagine it would cause all this
With the recent cold weather, it was -22 windchill where i live, maybe oil has gummed up? Since its synthetic

Very light metal shavings found on dipstick
Oil dark and used

Oil pressure light+ no Oil pressure at startup for 1-2 seconds

Oil pressure drops for 1-2 seconds at stoplights occasionally

Oil pressure stays constant when running, only at idle or stoplights does it drop, engine temp stays constant in good zone while running

Rpm occasionally drops at stoplights and while at idle

Started when I got back from trip, at first stoplight

When cold, loud knocking/ticking sound through rpm band

When warm nothing thru rpm band, just around 1400-2000rpm same knocking/tick

Looked around and thought it could be VIAS, but didn't change when I unplugged the vaccume hose to it

I have had an a PO455/456 I the past, but grabbed a new gas cap and it didn't come on the entire trip

Is my beloved Xterra on its way to vehicular heaven?
Any help is appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to see a photo of these metal shavings. But regardless I would definitely drain oil in a clean container and then look at for other debris. I am assuming that you are running the appropriate oil for the vehicle and the temperature range it is used in.

#5 ·
Maybe drop your lower oil pan for a quick look. When my oil galley gaskets started leaking on the timing cover, I had the same symptoms. All the gasket material that blew out went in the lower pan and partially blocked the oil pick up tube for the pump. Good time to change your timing chains since you'll be in there. Keep in mind, when the oil gallery gaskets fail, it takes a few seconds to pressurize the oil passages in those areas. Since the passages are breached, you're losing volume or flow in those areas at low rpm. I believe, it goes to the VIAS solenoids and timing chain tensioners as well. Could be what you are hearing.

#6 ·
My two theories were the VIAS and indeed the oil gallery gaskets. Doing some DEEP diving into the endless supply of forums, even on the nissan frontier/pathfinder, I've found 6 year old articles on the oil gallery gaskets, and lots of different write ups on that damn VIAS valve. These exactly match my problems. Guess it just makes the most sense

#7 ·
The oil gallery gaskets are a common failure on a lot of Nissan/Infiniti VQ35 engines and it shows up on a small number of VQ40DE engines. They sell updated gasket kits with new bolts on the aftermarket (Z1 Motorsports comes to mind as one place). To me, it sounds like that is what the most likely problem is in your case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.