Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine fan, plastic mechanical one with clutch, sounds very very loud... I don`t remember it sounding this loud. The fan spins nice/freely, just the right amount of drag one would expect (engine off), but when you start it up and drive it`s like a freakin hovercraft, what`s up with that? is this normal?...Thanks...PR...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Is the A/C on? Is it hot out?

The fan has a heat sesitive clutch on it. When it's not real hot or the vehicle is moving the cluch loosens up and the fan doesn't spin as fast. I the engine is hot, the clutch tightens and the fan spins faster.

Obviously when the fas spins faster, it creates more noise.

Or, it could be a bad fan clutch that is always fully engaged.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muzikman said:
Is the A/C on? Is it hot out?

The fan has a heat sesitive clutch on it. When it's not real hot or the vehicle is moving the cluch loosens up and the fan doesn't spin as fast. I the engine is hot, the clutch tightens and the fan spins faster.

Obviously when the fas spins faster, it creates more noise.

Or, it could be a bad fan clutch that is always fully engaged.
it`s the same with AC on or off. It`s the same when engine is ice cold (first start up) or hot, normal operating temperature. I`ts been in the 80`s-90`s here, but this has been loud since beginning of summer end of spring if I remember correctly.
Since I can rotate the fan pretty smoothly, I don`t see any viscous fluid leaking from the clutch, there is drag on it tho, didn`t think this drag was exccessive, LOL, didn`t think black dirt on fan blades made that noise that loud. If you remember the older style S10 checvy PU`s, it sounds like that, other people can here me coming before I`m there, it loud, just like the clutch is engaged fully even at highway speeds you can here it, I think as cooler or more air flows thru the radiator core and cools clutch shouldn`t the fan dis-engage???
and can the clutch be bad only with 37xxx miles on it?...Thanks...PR...

·
on line
463 Posts
FYI, I had a similar experience with the last 4x4.....
the plastic fan was coming apart, look at the base of the fan blades !

·
on line
735 Posts
If you sound like you're behind an aircraft prop and you lost 5-10 hp when the noise is loud, it's probably because it is 100-110 degrees outside and the thermostatic silicone gel locked up your fan so your poor X could get a little more air thru it's grill. This type of fan is more effective than a smaller electric one, just annoying. remember that you have a 4400 lb truck that can tow 4000+ lbs. They had to design a cooling system to be ok with that at 120 degrees F.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah, the temp doesn`t matter. it was 62 degrees this morning and the fan was still wailing away. From what I can see, I don`t see any cracks in the fan base. I never had any cooling issue with the truck. The temp gauge is below 1/2 way and it never rises past. The only performance loss I see/feel is it`s about 1-2 mpg off it`s average mark. around town is worse... so should I just replace the clutch? or wait till it gets really cold outside to see if there is any difference in sound?...PR...

·
on line
3,218 Posts
My $.02-

Mike may have gotten it right. Here in PHX, I leave for work at 0445 most mornings, and lately the temps have been in the low 90s at that time, climbing to 110* or more through the day. I walk out to my X during work for various reasons, and have recently taken note of the fact, it does run louder, than others in the lot which may have their AC engaged. I think it is a thermostatic preload, or something like that which runs the fan on high at idle in certain temps, or it's just loud.

·
on line
67 Posts
I remember a thread about the Whoosh sound that we all experience from time to time upon a normal startup and something to do with it bringing the x up to operating temp quickly...the fan is a part of that cycle as well right?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
xterrapickles said:
I remember a thread about the Whoosh sound that we all experience from time to time upon a normal startup and something to do with it bringing the x up to operating temp quickly...the fan is a part of that cycle as well right?
If that was it then the fan wouldn't spin as fast at start up.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the clutch fan!
after getting tired of hearing the woosh noise and getting less than normal MPG, I started dig into this.
I really couldn`t see the clutch fan well even with a mirror, but noticed that the bi metal spring (flat) was corroded most likely from the salt air where I live and the winters with all the road salt.
anyways: I sprayed the bi-metal plate with penetrating oil, pushed on the plate to activate pin behinmd it and the plate fell off, ugggh...

so now comes off the rad hose, air filter box lid, air hose, metal skid sheild, fan shroud and electric fan to get access to remove the clutch.
The pin for the valving was a bit sticky, so I cleaned up the plate, cleaned the pin, lubricated the little o-ring and re-assembled the bi-metal spring.
this time I tweeked the metal tabs that hold in the bi-metal spring.
re-installed the clutch, woosh noise gone!!!
you hear it when you first fire up the X and then it dies down, working normal again.

FYI: the area auto parts stores up to 30 miles away didn`t have a new clutch avail, they all said dealer item, you`ve got to be kidding me, the X has been out for years and no clutch service parts???WTF?

IMHO, shadetree auto 101" I prefer the non-thermal clutch or the clock spring type clutch, not the cheesy bi-metal type...PR...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
You can install a electric one, That solves a lot of problems, Easy to do, Ya have to look at the flow, I installed a duel set op on a 4 runner about 7 months ago, big gain in HP and MPG. If mine were to go, I'd do an electric fan for sure. What for like $30 you can do a flex fan eh? MC

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far repair is holding up. gained 1-1.5mpg already and very quiet running, now i`m in stealth mode, haha...PR...

·
on line
10 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I thought it sounded really loud but wasn't convinced something was wrong until I read this thread. I brought it to the dealer and they had to take it for a spin before they believed me that the clutch fan was stuck and the fan was always spinning. I had the dealer replace mine, it's an 06 X so it was covered. Sounds much better now and hopefully I'll see a slight mpg gain like you did Pale Rider, great thread, thanks.

·
on line
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, glad you found your problem. That loud fan noise was driving me crazy... nobody had a clutch fan in stock, not avail yet, could you belive that one,,,, so I just took it out and free`d up the stuck valve... X is out of warranty, almost 40K on her already!...PR...

·
on line
189 Posts
yea like when i come to a stop and my car sits there

the fan gets really loud

1 - 16 of 16 Posts