Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an issue with the engine fan always running. As soon as the engine reaches normal operating temperature, the fan kicks in and it won't shut off. The temperature gauge reads a little less than half way up into the normal range and oil pressure is fine. The engine is not overheating. Coolant is new and air has been purged from the system.

Any ideas?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea I am going with clogged Radiator, only reason it is running normal operating temp is the fan is keeping up. Should it get real hot out or you tow something I'd guess it will overheat. The electric fan on ours only comes on under very high demand. I'd say clogged. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I finally was able to get my grill off last night (though couldn't get it back on all the way...have to fix that) and I ran the hose for a good half hour (don't want to see my water bill) and it was still running brown. It was starting to rain so I quit and will pick up the task again tonight.

I hose out the radiator after every run, but they make it so hard to get to that I only get some of it. Removing the grill really helps. I really wish there was an easy way to remove the fan shroud so you can hose from the back side.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Don't mean to hijack, but that's why I love this site....What a great suggestion (probably a no-brainer to many people) about hosing out the radiator. I wheel in the CA desert dust all the time and never realized I should be doing this. Live and learn. I recently saw Dan's suggestion about cleaning the alternator too. "Common sense" ideas like these are potential lifesavers.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I first thought the fins on the radiator are gummed up with dirt and mud. It didn't look too bad but I throughly cleaned them anyhow. That wasn't it.

I was thinking perhaps the thermostat needs to be replaced. That or there's something inside the radiator that's restricting coolant flow.

Anything else?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, there must be a thermostat some place telling the electric fan when you kick on. I'll take a look at the SM when I get home.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, I took a second and looked.

The electronic fan is controled by the ECM. There are three speeds to the electric fan and depending on the temperature that the computer detects as well as the position of the A/C (on or off) will depend on which speed the fan will run.

There is a fan relay, didn't look to see where it is located (I assume with all the rest of the relays). Maybe it's stuck on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
anyone ever track down the exact problem? I'm having this issue

·
Registered
151 Posts
Based on reading around on here it sounds like this was a fan clutch. They seem to fail in either a locked position or an open position. That's what this sounds like.

I recently replaced mine and the aftermarket fan is not behaving very nicely either. I'll be replacing again with a OEM clutch. Super annoying but still saving cash as the dealer quoted 365+TAx for this job!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts