Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my wife and I drove to Yakima and during our drive going up hill the temp would rise to 230*F with the highest being 237*F. Going down hill the temperature would drop to about 208*F-215*F. I have been noticing that the temp for it has been staying about 215*F-220*F on regular driving around our area but it has never gone beyond that until today. Prior to moving to Washington the X was always around 199*F-205*F when we lived in Calgary. We've driven the X everywhere and have gone hills higher than today and never had the temps go up to the range it did today. I had the water pump replaced last year so I doubt it would be the water pump. Could this be just a thermostat issue? I am thinking of having it flushed and get the thermostat replaced.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The X has a huge radiator for its displacement. Could be thermostat, electric fan, plugged rad, or combination of. Thermostat is the cheapest, so I would start there.

Does it warm up idling too, or just pulling uphill?

·
on line
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just going up hill at idle it's pretty stable but the temp is around 215*F. I will take it in to get flushed and get the thermostat changed, the fan works fine it was on when I opened the hood when I got home and checked while it was still hot.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,044 Posts
i am going to guess the fan clutch..... take a newspaper and roll it up and try to stop the fan blade from turning.... if working the newspaper will get chewed up.... if fan clutch not working correctly.. the blade will simply stop.

if you do the thermostat, remember to get the Nissan oem to avoid problems with the aftermarket type.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Edit: saw you have the bypass cooler and fan done. Do you have a second cooler on the back of the stock cooler? If so, this is your problem. I had the same thing happening to me with the engine overheating, especially when going up hills. Its because you're blocking flow to the radiator, and the two coolers are basically not cooling efficiently and keeping heat in, which is going right into the rad. Get the two coolers out of there and just use ONE efficient one. I have a B&M cooler thats slightly larger than the stock unit which does a great job. I havent had my engine temp get above like 201 since I installed it. But I had gotten up to 220* plus going up big hills. Also, check to make sure mud isnt caked on the outside of the rad between the cooling fins.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
I have a second cooler placed behind the OEM trans cooler (in series) and have not had any additional heating (idle, hills, off-road, normal driving) of engine coolant as reported by my Scangauge II.

·
on line
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the cooler on now for about 5 years and it has never been an issue with engine temps even when I lived in Guam with weather hotter than what it was yesterday. Never thought about the clutch fan but I will check into it when I get home from work. When it rose to 237*F yesterday I had gunned the engine to get up hill and quickly let off the gas when I saw the temps spike up. I added some coolant last night after it had cooled and this morning it was running cooler by about 10*F on average. The past few weeks it had been averaging about 215*F when I drove it(wife uses the X more than I do). Hmmm maybe I was just low on coolant but I will just have it flushed and maybe get the thermostat changed at the dealership for peace of mind since the wife drives the X. What would be the symptoms if I had a head gasket leak?

·
on line
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I just did the newspaper thing with the fan and it was able to slow it down and stop it at some point. I saw it yesterday and thought it didn't seem like it was turning very fast. But driving it to and from work today it averaged about 206*F with ambient temps being 60*F. Great time to have this happen when I don't know when this damn shutdown will end.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,416 Posts
If you had been driving the vehicle and it was not that hot, the fan would be in the free wheeling mode. If it's been sitting for awhile the fluid will have bled down and the clutch will be engaged at startup and for a brief period until the fluid is displaced and the fan will then freewheel until the temperature increases enough to engage the clutch.

I'm not aware of a reliable test for the thermostatic clutch assembly. If there isn't visible fluid leaking I'd look elsewhere first.

If there is still overheating after ensuring that the correct coolant level is in the system, make sure the radiator is clean. You apparently can monitor the coolant temperature. The thermostat should start to open around 180F. During heat up the coolant temperature should level around 185 for a while before climbing to the normal 195-205 range. This is during moderate driving. If the temperature smoothly climbs to 200+ the thermostat is suspect and should be checked.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I'd make sure the coolant is full and bleed properly first, if it still happens then change the thermostat. I'm a few years newer and a manual but I only run about 193-200 going between Edmonds and Des Moines for the work week.

·
on line
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've added some coolant to it already and it now runs around 208*F at peak and around 204*F on average but I haven't taken it out to a mountain pass like driving to Yakima. But for now it seems to be running about 10*F cooler than before.

@Jeff_Redx- Thanks. The temps do stabilize around 185 before moving higher to 204*F and there is no leak by the fan assembly. I had checked than fan after driving home yesterday which was about a 30 minute drive and the temp was around 204*F when I checked the fan. Maybe I will just get it flushed and keep an eye on the temps before getting anything done.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts