Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my X outside last night (usually park in a heated garage), and it got down to about -15F. When I started up in the morning I noticed it not only took a long time to heat up, but the transmission was also very difficult to get into gear for the first five minutes or so. Since I'm going to be here in Minneapolis for at least two more winters, I'd like to learn more about cold-weather car maintenance.

-Is there any specific warm-up procedure for when it's really cold? Any idea how to deal with a tranny that's being uncooperative?

-How about getting an engine block heater? Any experience with these, recommendations on what kind to get?

·
on line
616 Posts
A block heater will do nothing for the balky tranny. The only way to address that is to start the vehicle 5 minutes before you need to go. Let in run in neutral with the clutch released.

A remote starter would help, but there are few manufacturers, much less installers, who will deal with the 6 speed and the Nissan immobilizer. I have figured out how to do it without a hidden key, but have yet to take the time.

The block heater will help get the heat working more quickly.

I rely on my heated seats for that.

-Old Army

·
on line
14 Posts
I lived in Fairbanks, AK last winter and it used to get down to -50. I have the factory engine block heater and battery warmer installed on my X and never had a problem starting up. I would usually let it heat up for about 15 minutues before driving. As far as the transmission goes, I always had problems shifting when it was cold, but never did find a fix for that. If you had problems turning your X on in the mornings, I would recommend getting a block heater/battery warmer. Should set you back around a $100 from what I remember.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts